Thursday, March 01, 2007

Chub

Chub
Current mood: sad

I would like to make this post a dedication to someone I loved dearly. My Aunt Katherine. We called her Chub. I had always heard about her while growing up but she didnt live in the area so I never got to meet her. She fascinated me though. Her nature was wonderful.

I first met her at my grandma's funeral. She knew all about me. I loved this woman on instant meeting. She captured my heart. What was really the fun part of my first conversation with her was that she always had something to do with the number 9.

She was born in 1919 and she said that those with a number nine at the end of their birth year were special people. I was born in 1969 and my daughter was born in 1999. We both took an attachment to her and she was a big part of our lives. I will miss her letters and cards and her almost daily emails. She would talk to me for hours and tell me all the family goodies. She told stories of the past that made my socks curl.

We exchanged pictures and stories about the kids and her grand kids. She told me stories about my grandma and my father while they were growing up. Told stories of the war and the depression.

I truely loved this woman. I will miss her deeply. She was a big part of my heart. I loved my grandma deeply as well. She left me in the early 90s. Aunt Katherine was just like her in the way she cared for me. I cherished that.

I will miss you.

5 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. She sounds like a wonderful person.

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you. Yeah she was. How many other 80+ year olds do you know that sits at a computer sending naughty jokes. LOLOL

She really was sweet though. She had a long and happy life.

4:28 PM  
Blogger wa11z said...

Sorry about your loss. At least you got to hear all of her wonderful stories that she had to share before she passed.

7:23 PM  
Blogger TheWriteGirl said...

I'm so sorry about your aunt. But it sounds like you've got a lot of good memories to hold onto. One thing I've been trying to do with my older relatives is to get oral histories from them. It's really fascinating. The trick is to record them or take notes and then transcribe them into narratives. The stuff you can get from them is priceless.

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to do that with my moms Aunt. We forgot the recorder though. But she told me some pretty good stories of the depression and all that stuff. And this coming from a party girl of the 20s. :D She lead an interesting life. Wish I had gotten those recordings. LOLOL

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home