Saturday, February 10, 2007

Somebody bring me a bedpan.....

This is going to be a very confusing post to write. But I will tell you that I have been pretty much dealing with alot of shit lately.

Yes, for once, a serious post from me. But dont worry, there will be more of my usual programming coming back.

My life has been a total nightmare lately. I would say mostly for the past 2 months. Im a very patient person. Prolly more patient than most. But the past couple of weeks have taken that all away from me. Yeah. Can you imagine what would happen if I really snapped? Id run like hell if I were you. And it has nothing to do with the voices in my head. I think I scared them off as well because they wont speak to me anymore.

All seriousness aside. I have been dragging my ass around. I tried not to show it but I couldnt help it this past week. I cant mention any names, actual places or any other personal issues about my post. So I will go the Dear Abby route and make them all up. But the object of the post is true. Those that know me personally will know everything I am talking about.

Basically I have been a crash test dummy for life. Please dont try this at home. It hurts. It hurts really, really, bad.

You all know what my job is but I will say that I work in a hospital for this post.

You see, there is a patient on my floor that is just beyond belief. She demands attention. And if she doesnt get what she wants, she turns to violence. Also keep in mind the age group we are talking about. It would be hard to explain publically. Elementary my dear Watson.

Well anywho, she has made my life a living hell. She is not of my ward though. I have my own patients to deal with. And they require my attention because of their special care. Mind you that there are also two other nurses there. One is a regular nurse and the other is a registered nurse. Im a special care nurse. Get it?

Now the RN has alot to deal with and the regular nurse has other duties in the afternoons to another unit. She cant always be there. Well this patient has it out for blood and has drawn blood. As well as kicked, punched and a few other nasty things to all the nurses and other patients. The patient's mother doesnt see anything wrong with this and pretty much struts around with a broom up her ass.

Now there is a Doctor there too. This doctor also tries to handle things but believes in treatment with kindness and sends the patient back to the nurses to deal with. I will tell you that flying chairs and tables dont help matters.

Well the doctor had to take a vacation and put a temp doctor there. The patient beat up the temp doctor and she wasnt about to put up with it and called in the Head Doctor. The HD sent the patient home for a week. What a pleasant week that was.

You know, this is confusing as hell for me to write it this way.

But anywho, the week flew by and the patient returned. Since this time, I have felt mentally, emotionally and physically drained and exhausted. I come home to just sit and cry. What gives? I dont get it. Why is this patient allowed to be here? And she hasnt changed any. Im sorry but Im not going to pat this bitch on the head and tell her what a great time shes giving me. I just want to put my foot so far in her ass it would take a mining crew to get it out.

Well her mother is being the same as usual. Now I will bring you to this past week. I received a complaint from the mother that I am to stay away from the patient or I will be brought up on charges. What? Are you kidding me? I know its an idle threat because Im there to do my job and personally I have been avoiding this patient as much as I possibly can. I refuse to touch her or even speak to her. But yet even though the other nurses are putting in written complaints about her, Im still getting blamed for them from the mother. You have got to be kidding me.

Well several meetings were set up and everything was discussed in detail. The registered nurse defended me and herself. But the Doctor allowed the patient to stay. What utter crap this was. I dreaded going to work. I would be fine until I saw the patient. Then everything would ball up inside me and I would cringe at every second of my day that passed.

The patient is now even more destructive. All the nurses gathered for a meeting with the doctor. We were discussing other issues while the patient was in the main office of the hospital completely ripping it apart. Screaming bad words through the PA system and all. And when the meeting was over, the patient was also sent back to her room for the nurses to deal with once again. Yep, a pat on the head and everything.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the HD never knew about any of the previous incidents of the patient or any of the injury claims made by the nurses. Can you imagine that?

Well on friday there was a meeting that involved myself and the doctor. I was dreading this meeting. The only thing that was going through my mind was that the doctor was going to fire me because of all the hassles and complaints made by the mother and the fact that the HD found out about the doctor not reporting things properly. Well that isnt my fault. Wait, none of this is my fault.

So friday morning came and in the office I went. Head hanging low and feeling completely useless. I sat at the desk waiting for the hammer to fall. My anticipation of the previous night was exhausting as I didnt get much sleep. The doctor looked at me and asked me to do a favor. Huh? How is losing my job a favor?

She asked me to treat all the patients that afternoon alone because the registered nurse, the patient and the patients mother would be going to another hospital for a few hours. Whoa. Back it up. Reverse. Now repeat that in slow-mo for me please. And also she added a little incentive to go with it. Well how could I say no?

So that all went very well and the patient will no longer be at the hospital. Seriously. She was going to a hospital designed for her kind of behavior. Permanently.

Needless to say that I got some serious sleep last night and I slept right through the morning very peacefully. Im feeling pretty good tonight. And I will be lazy tomorrow so that come Monday I will be relaxed and enjoy my day. I feel alive again. I can smile again.

Thank you all for hanging in there with me even though you didnt know all the shit I was dealing with. It was a scary ride and Im sure its not completely over yet. Nothing is ever that easy.

But at least I can say that whatever gets thrown at me now wont be a table or a chair.

2 Comments:

Blogger wa11z said...

See? Everything works out in the end. If it isn't worked out, it isn't the end.

12:30 PM  
Blogger BC said...

We shall see how tomorrow goes. All in all Im happy that shes in a position to get the one on one attention she needs. Shes smart as hell. I hope it works out for her.

Im just dreading that I still have to deal with her mother. There are still 3 other kids that she has there.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home