Thursday, February 15, 2007

That nasty four letter word....

Sleigh bells ring, are you listening,
(There are no sleighs here in this city)
In the lane, snow is glistening
(Yeah, its glistening but thats from all the rock salt)
A beautiful sight,
(Not in my neighborhood)
We're happy tonight.
(I have a cold)
Walking in a winter wonderland.
(I cant walk anywhere. The snow is up to my knees)

Gone away is the bluebird,
(He was smart)
Here to stay is a new bird
(Hes stupid)
He sings a love song,
(Now why the hell would he do that)
As we go along,
(Im not going anywhere til my car is cleaned off)
Walking in a winter wonderland.
(Im not walking through this)

In the meadow we can build a snowman,
(No meadows here)
Then pretend that he is Parson Brown
(What the heck is Parsons Brown)

He'll say: Are you married?
(nosey isnt he)
We'll say: No man,
(hahahahaha)
But you can do the job
When you're in town.
(that sounds a little ummm perverted)

Later on, we'll conspire,
(And plot against mother nature)
As we dream by the fire
(Now that sounds like a good idea but I dont have a fire)
To face unafraid,
The plans that we've made,
(Plans? What plans? Why wasnt I told?)
Walking in a winter wonderland.
(I dont ski either)

In the meadow we can build a snowman,
(Once again, no meadow)
And pretend that he's a circus clown
(LB would be so afraid)
We'll have lots of fun with mister snowman,
(How much fun can be had with someone with a carrot for a nose)
Until the other kids knock him down.
(Oh they will do that for sure)

When it snows, ain't it thrilling,
(Its pretty but I hate driving in it)
Though your nose gets a chilling
(and the rest of your body too)
We'll frolic and play, the Eskimo way,
(Thats because they are used to this crap)
Walking in a winter wonderland.
(Just give me a snowmobile and I will be happy)

Yes , it is finally Winter here in Upstate New York. We have gotten a little snow here and there but there is about 3 feet of it out there right now. I got two days off from school so thats a bonus. I have to work tomorrow and then I get a whole week off. Oh and I also have a cold again. Never fails that I am sick for a vacation.

I went down yesterday in the middle of the storm to take pictures and there was some idiot in front of my house with a minivan, stuck. Well hell, thats a bright thing to do. Come down a street that isnt plowed, with a vehicle thats not made for snow. And my poor car is in the back of my driveway looking like a giant marshmallow with ears.

There are snow emergencies in every city around here. You can only park on one side of the street for 24 hours and then you have to switch to the other side. If not then you can pick your car up at the local towing garage for a small fee. But at least you wont be buried and have to dig it out. And it will be all cleaned off for you when you pick it up. I think its a fair exchange.

What I dont understand is that you have to go dig your car out so the plow can clean that side of the street. Now where does all that snow go from your car? In the street. How convienent. Now you have to drive over it to get your car out. So now all these cars are stuck in the snow that they just dumped off. Bright idea there.

And then you have the tow truck. The tow truck cant get your car out unless the street is plowed. But they cant plow the street unless the car is moved. To me that is a no-win situation. Entertaining to watch though.

A few years ago, my street was so bogged down that three snow plows got stuck. One got a little ways in and another came to pull him out. That one in turn got stuck as well. A third came in to plow the street and got stuck right in front of my house. The tv news crews were here covering the story of all the people shoveling to get the plows out. I laughed pretty hard that day. And wouldnt you know it, a week later the snow dumped again. Three feet the first time and a little more than three feet the second time. It was a royal pain in the ass here for a while.

Last year, this area was completely missed by every storm that came through. It either slammed north or south of here. We got a total of 13 inches in one drop and that was all. This year, we have had such mild temps that it was sickening. It was in the 70s in the beginning of January. What the hell is that? This isnt Florida.

But we got nailed on the head this time. And there is more coming. Oh joy. At least I have a driveway to park in. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I have a neighbor across the street that is too damn lazy to do something about his driveway. So he will be willing to park on the street through all this crap. And when you clean out a spot somewhere, you can guarentee that his car will be there when you return. Last year he did that and that person that did the cleaning parked in that mans driveway and pissed him off. It was funny.

This year, there is no clean spots in front of my house. That way no one will park there for when the plow comes through. I hate when someone does that and the plow goes around and you still have to clean it out. Jackasses. Use your damn driveways. Thats what they are there for.

So tonight I will get some extra sleep so that tomorrow I can take some extra time to get to work. I know there will be every stupid moron out there doing the same thing. Downtown traffic is a nightmare. You would think that these people are used to driving in this crap. Nope. Scares me. Oh yeah, thats right. They all have SUVs but dont know how to stop them. And you may happen across a BMW on someones front lawn.

Fun times ahead. But at least I get to make a snowman. I just have to find some spray paint called Parson Brown.

9 Comments:

Blogger wa11z said...

There might be a light dusting in Georgia tonight. As for Parson Brown--wasn't he the guy on TRL?

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would prefer a light dusting. :D

Hmmmm... Now that you mention it.. It very well could have been him.

Word Verification: pmskabfk

1:39 PM  
Blogger TheWriteGirl said...

I grew up in New England and I scoff at people around here who get bent out of shape over a couple of inches of snow. But now that we're all grown up and we have to shovel it and drive in it, there is such a thing as too much. I feel for you, I really do. And the when it all melts, I wonder how many people are going to find several inches of water in their basements.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Taylor said...

Shortly after all the snow Ohio got, we had a day that was 45 degrees and some flash flood warnings, but thats the Midwest for you.

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend of mine moved to KY a few years ago and they had a freak snow storm that left them 3 inches on the ground. He was out with the car sliding on the back roads to get to work but was having fun with it. His wife (KY native) wasnt enjoying it and was panicing over the snow. LOLOL

I love the snow, dont get me wrong. I hate the shoveling but I have a snow blower.

I just hate the idiots tht dont know how to drive in it. Or the SUVs that think they can drive in it til they discover they cant stop.

I do worry about the flooding because there are ares here that dont drain well. Im in a higher area of the city so I have no worry about it. But there are others who cant get out because their road gets blocked or what not.

Yeah Taylor, you guys got slammed right before we did here. But its all still out there here. They are bringing around the dump trucks trying to get rid of it to widen the roads again.

5:02 AM  
Blogger Taylor said...

I wish they would dump trucks to do that out here, when it snows we get to have all of our non-main roads converted to one lane roads, and you have to hope that no one is driving towards you. Its like a government regulated game of chicken.

12:06 PM  
Blogger fermicat said...

Any better now? It has been pretty warm here for the last couple of days. Not sure how far up north the warm goes.

5:54 PM  
Blogger BC said...

They cleaned up fairly well but for the side streets. The cars are parking on the side of the snowbanks so you weave in and out. LOL

The main roads are clear and cleaned nicely. It did snow again yesterday though.

Going out tomorrow for a little surprise for myself. My mom is going to kill me when she comes back from FL. No Mom its not a tattoo.

It barks. ;o)

9:02 PM  
Blogger BC said...

Quote- Its like a government regulated game of chicken.

I like this line. LOLOL

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home