Wednesday, February 11, 2009

This wont hurt a bit...

This wont hurt a bit...

Thats what she said. Well not really. She knew it would hurt.

I went to the doctor again last Friday. It seems to be a twice a week thing now. Its getting to the point that I cant afford this anymore. The pain is still there but not as much. I guess thats a little bit of good news. We talked about getting another shot in my foot. Im really not too thrilled about this because I know how painful it was the last time. When Dr. H did it, it was really quick but extremely painful. But at least he was quick. Also he knew enough to lay across my legs to insure that he doesnt get kicked. Im sure hes felt that pain before. Smart man.

But this time it was different. This was a doctor that really didnt know me very well. So this meant that I had to tell her of the previous experiences I have had with needles. She also confirmed to me that she herself treated Dr. H for his spurs. Wonderful. At least I know this is someone that a doctor trusts. I must be heading in the right direction.

So we talked about this for a few minutes and then we both agreed that this should be done. I told her that it didnt work the last time and she said that she would put the good stuff in a few different areas and also include a numbing agent. Too bad the numbing agent was inside the needle and not outside to the foot first. Seriously, that makes all the difference.

Cami was asked to leave the room and go hang out with the nurse down the hall. She really didnt want to leave but I assured her that I was going to be ok. Shes such a darling child. I really do love her alot and she was really worried about me. With the coaxing of a lollipop, she slipped out the door. Well that wasnt too hard to do.

I was laid back in the chair and told to relax. Relax? This hurts more than getting my boobs squished in that machine. Take a deep breath? Ive heard that before too. With that same machine. Then she sprays the bottom of my foot with that cold spray. That stuff is pure evil. Im not ticklish in the least but damn that stuff sent me to the ceiling. It does every time. Its more of the shocking kind of pain. But yet its not really a pain at all. I cant describe it. Really I cant. Its so cold that it almost hurts. But the shock factor would give someone a jolt for sure.

Then she says to breathe again. Was I holding my breath? Oh wait, I was. I knew what was to come. I knew the pain that was about to sear into my foot. And the scary part was that she didnt bother to even grab the other foot just in case I sent her jaw into oblivion. Trust me, that thought doesnt even cross your mind. Its just a reflex. I have an extreme tolerance to pain and this was going to hurt like hell.

I braced myself by gripping the arm rests. Im sure I have already left some marks on it before the needle went in. She gripped my right foot and turned it so that the inside of my heel was facing her. This is where the needle is going in. I brace myself even more but yet try to relax the muscle in my foot. Not an easy task to do. She sprays more of that stuff on and then puts the needle in before the shock factor wore off. I would like to add that I am also a very vocal person. But I can contain my thoughts. I dont scream out the words that I really want to. Well at least not in professional company. Even when my daughter was being born, I only screamed out the word fuck once. Actually it was "I am fucking pushing!!!!"

But anywho, that needle went in and I dug out the skin from my palms. I really dont remember too much after that. I put my mind into a better place. Or at least I tried to. I think it was more along the lines of concentraing on something other than putting my foot against the doctors jaw and sending her into tomorrow. Its not her fault that it hurts so much so I let it go this time. This time.

Then I hear silence. I know Im breathing but she tells me to do so anyways. A knock comes to the door and I hear a tiny voice asking if Im ok. Cami was extremely worried. Apparently they heard me down the hall saying Ow ow ow ow it hurts it hurts it hurts. Over and over and over. The doctor is now rubbing something on my foot to ease the pain of the shot and then she stuck a bandaid on it. She then taped my foot and asked if I needed a few minutes to gather myself. I would need more than a few minutes but all I really wanted was to be home. So I said I was ok and she let me get my shoes on.

I went out to the hall and limped my way to the desk. The main desk is inside the office and the door to the waiting room was closed. I asked the receptionist if there was anyone out there and she said no. I took a deep breath and laughed. I told her that was a good thing because the last time I had this done, Im sure I caused some old lady to have a heart attack in the waiting room. She had a good laugh. I then left the office.

Im so thankful that this place has an elevator. There is no way I was going to be able to go down a flight of stairs. I would have had to slide down the railing and that would not have been impressive. Well maybe it would but that depends on who is watching. I limped out to my car and sat there for a few minutes. Damn that hurt. It hurt alot. It was one of those moments when I wished I had taken a cab. I knew what was about to happen and I wasnt looking forward to it. Its my right foot and I have to use it to drive home. I pulled out of the lot and sure enough, as soon as I was on my way, the throbbing started and I was near to tears before I got home. Im glad for the weekend.

Saturday I went to class and I was able to relax my foot. Sunday I went to the mall and walked a little. It didnt hurt as much as it normally would have. Sunday night was a pain in the ass because I wasnt feeling well and neither was Cami. We both ended up staying awake til about 5am and I called in. It was a day spent in bed relaxing. Tuesday was an ok day. My foot didnt hurt as bad and I went back to the doctor. She retaped my right foot and also up my ankle a little. I was told to start wearing normal shoes with the heel cups and see how that goes. Today I did that and thank gawd it was only a half day. Im sitting here with so much pain in my foot. I came home and put my crocs back on and its not as bad. I would give anything to be able to soak my foot but I cant. At least not until tomorrow night. I have to get through these next two days and then I have a week off. Im hoping to not do too much. Im sure to have an interesting post for it though because Cami wants a sleep over with one of her friends.

4 Comments:

Blogger MacRankin said...

I have been reading all of your posts, and I really feel for you.

Those heal cups don't sound like they are doing half the job that they're supposed to do, and all that freaking pain.

Right now, my whole body is in sympathy for you. If my own problems persist, I don't know if I'll be able to carry on.

Btw, I dropped something in the email for you.

8:25 PM  
Blogger BC said...

I was wondring where you ran off to. I havent heard from you in a long time. I hope all is well.

I need the orthotics and Im going to talk to my father about a small loan for them. I dont know the reaction yet considering that he just shelled out $3000 for my dental stuff.

My thing is that I cant keep going for these tapings. Its costing me more than the insurance company is paying. Can you believe that one? My copay is $40 per visit. Thats twice a week. The total bill is $50. So that means the insurance company is only paying $10. Be real. This is stupid.

Want a good laugh? I got some shoes yesterday. I tried on the right foot and put the insert into it. It seemed to fit nicely and it was cushioned nice. I put the shoe in the box and put the lid on. Paid for them and went home. When I got home, I discovered that there were two right shoes. So someone out there got two left ones.

He he he... two left feet and cant dance. That was the first thing that went through my mind.

I took them back today and got the right one and the left one this time.

7:10 PM  
Blogger MacRankin said...

I'm still here...

I sometimes get carried away with web page building, or rather certain aspects of it, and if it isn't that, the actual day job can, depending on what duty I'm doing, drain my time away, so much so, that I'm often too cream-crackered to do anything else but sleep.

Your father, though, is a good man, and I hope you can both work out an arrangement. If not, then perhaps I can help, maybe. :)

I get the impression that your insurance company is happy (for now) to accommodate these discrepancies.

1:03 PM  
Blogger fermicat said...

It's nothing like what you are going through, but my Morton's neuroma has been bugging me more lately and I was considering when it is time to go to the foot doc and have one of those lovely shots, complete with the icy spray stuff. I think I am going to procrastinate for a while longer.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home