Friday, March 30, 2007

Nightmares really do come true...

As most of you can remember my topless nightmares, it all came true on Friday. I was dreading this all year. Every year, at this time, the Superintendent has a day that the kids get off but the staff must report to some training session that will be of value to them. Bah!! I want to spend the day in bed. No such luck though.

But anywho, this year it was a choice session. There were about a hundred different classes that we could have taken. You get two choices. Just in case your first choice fills up. Each choice comes in a two session package. There is also a public speaker on the stage as well. I will get to him in a moment.

So my first choice was Obesity in Children and Diabeties. That was coupled with Mental Health in Children. Perfect choice for me considering my job. My second choice was Study Skills for Kids and that was coupled with PBIS (Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports). Which also goes with my job. Well, I got my second choice as the first one filled up too fast. Its ok, I can deal with it. I will just go through the notes of the ones that were able to get into it.

But here is my nightmare. All of this is happening at the High School. I can find my way to the auditorium but thats about all. I dont even know where the main office is. Or any of the rooms where my classes are being held are. Now comes the panic. I know I will get lost trying to find my way around. Just like in my nightmares. I also have to be there at 7am to get a good parking spot. Just think of about 2000 employees fighting for about 100 parking spots. Entertainment to be had there.

So I arrived at about 7:15 and there were only about 30 cars in the lot. Joy. Seriously. Im happy for this. So I stand outside for some fresh air before I take the plunge. Im nervous as all hell though. I really honestly dont know why. Its not like this is a major deal. There are plenty of people that know their way around this place. I can simply ask someone. Why am I in a panic?

I go inside and head to the auditorium. Thats where Im supposed to be at 8:30 anyway. May as well stick close to the target. You know, just in case. I have my bottle of Pepsi. Not diet. They said that there will be no lunch breaks so that means, bring snacks. I have 3 strawberry Go Tarts with me. Oh my gawd, have you had them? If not you should try them. Much better than the original. And the chocolate ones are even better. Ok, now where was I? Oh yeah, Im standing in front of the auditorium. I dont see anyone I know yet. More panic. Damnit...I wish it would stop. So I go to the information desk to see if I need to sign in. She says no and that I sign in when I show up to the classes. Well thats going to help me because I dont know where the classes are. I wanted to shout that but I held my cool. But oh lookeeeee whats on the desk!!! A map of the school!!!! Whoooohooo!!! Im feeling better now.

Not completely better because now Im alone still. I hate being in a strange place alone. I will do it if I have to but I would rather have someone to talk to. Oh shut up. I like to have someone to talk to. Its something I enjoy. Especially when Im nervous. Ha. Nervous. I wish it would go the hell away. The lady at the desk tells me that I can go into the cafe to get some coffee and breakfast and relax til I need to go to the classes. Ok, where is the cafe? She points to the doors to my left. Ahhhhh... caferteria. Eh.. Same thing. I thanked her and went in. But coffee is not on my list.

I grabbed a yogart and a banana and found a table to sit at. I set my clipboard down and began my plan of attack. Yep, mapping out my classes and how to get to them. Im foiling my nightmare's evil plans already. I finished my yogart and then I hear my name being called. Damn the voices followed me here. Dont they know enough to leave me alone. Ha ha. Trust me, I really dont hear voices. I do but not in my head. Oh forget about it. Anyways, I looked around and saw a couple of people that I worked with sitting at another table. They werent there just a second ago. Believe me, I looked.

So I packed up my stuff and moved to where they were sitting. They asked me what classes I was going to be taking and I told them. One of them was taking the one I wanted so shes going to gather notes for me. Soon three more show up and sit with us. We all chatted about various things and then it was time to go back to the auditorium. We all packed up and walked in together. We chose a seat down front. We have to be in here from 8:30 to 10am. Motivational speaker. Im tired and figured it would be a good time to doze off. Im in the middle of all of them so someone will have to wake me when its time to leave. He he he.

Not to be. The guy was hysterical. I really enjoyed his show. It was about taking accountability for your own life and your own actions. www.rifenbary.com Check him out if you get a chance. He was very entertaining. His on line video was boring though. In real life he was bouncing on the stage. Then again, he may have drank the coffee. Which was therefore made with the water here. That alone will do that to ya. Good thing I dont drink it huh?

We had a good time at the assembly and then it was off to the first class. Now the panic arises again. I have no idea why because I know where I have to go. Simply leave the auditorium and take a right and go all the way to the end of the hall. Thats where it should be. AB13. Three of the ladies I was with had to go to AB9. How convienient. So we all head off together. We made a right so that I could walk with them to see a friend at one of the offices there. We visited for a couple of minutes and then went to the classes. I left them at theirs and went around the corner to mine. I walked in and saw that it was a small group there. Not to bad.

That class was interesting and I learned alot. We chatted and played a game. The instructor also made sure that we all got a binder with notes already done and set up. Cool beans. That was easy. Now off to the second class. Thats in D9. Back behind the other side of the auditorium. Well here comes the fun part. I couldnt find it. Im suck a dork. I walked down one hall and then the next. Im in the D wing. Im in the right area. I found D7 and then D8 and then around the corner was D49. Huh? I looked at my schedule again. D9. Not D49. I looked into the classroom next to it and saw the person that was holding the class. I know her personally. One of the reasons I took this class was for her. I looked on the door. D9. What the hell? Im all sorts of confused now. Not lost. Just confused. But at least its not my fault this time.

We went through the class quite well. We chatted about the issues of PBIS and also about specific kids we have problems with in general and out to address such issues. Yes folks, I do have a brain. He he he. Im a professional by day, total nutcase by night. Enjoy me while you can. The class went smoothly and its now 1:30pm. Not too shabby if you ask me. Also I dont have to go back to my school to finish the 4pm day. We are allowed to go home but we will be paid for the whole time. Nice little bonus there.

One other thing that caught me by surprise. When we were leaving the auditorium and heading tot he first class, we ran into our prinicpal. She asked about how the speaker was and we told her that she would enjoy it. She patted me on the back and said that she hoped so. Later as I was heading down the hall to leave, I ran into her again and she coraled me up and said that she too enjoyed. She was also there talking to some other people that were wearing suits. Ok, you dont wear suit on your day off. So these must be big deal people. I put on my brightest smile and my firm handshake when we were introduced. Turns out that these were principals to other schools but still its a big deal for me. I may end up working for them in the future. Who knows.

But what struck me the most was that she put her arm around my shoulders and also introduced me as one of her best employess and also the most patient in the special ed department. Boy was I proud of myself then. Seriously. This women scares me and yet shes proud of me for a job well done. And made it public news. Almost made me think, is she buttering me up so that they may request me for next year so that she can get rid of me? Nah... But it can happen. I like the school Im in but its in a bad neighborhood. I wouldnt mind transfering myself and my daughter to a better neighborhood school. Anywho, I still felt pretty darn good after that. I left them with a smile and a thank you to my boss. I said it was nice to meet you to the others and off I went.

I saw the speaker sitting at a table selling his book. I got into the line to get one. I liked this guys way of thinking that much. So I get the book, he signed it and I headed to the doors. I ran into a few people from other schools that I have worked at and also the one Im currently in. Said my hellos and whats ups and carried on towards the main doors. Once I was outside, I sighed a sigh of relief that the day was over. All my anexiety was lifted and I was finally free of my nightmares.

Oh and I was still wearing my shirt.

3 Comments:

Blogger wa11z said...

Way to keep your shirt on! It wasn't that bad, was it?

5:39 PM  
Blogger fermicat said...

And you got some positive feedback about your work. Very cool.

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont know why I would panic so easily. Im not a shy person.

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home