Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Its a jungle out there....

Thursday, June 01, 2006

It's a jungle out there....

Current mood: amused

Today was the kindergarten field trip to Adirondack Animal Land. Its a really cool place and perfect for the little ones because its small and not so overwhelming for them.

First we start off in the morning rush trying to get everything packed in the coolers and establishing what kids go with what adults. Yes there were adults there. Surprising huh?

We have a few kids that required that their parents take part in this to allow everyone a good time. The one I worried about the most was my main ward. His mom was supposed to come on this trip but his cousin came instead. What a sour person. They came just as the bus was about to leave.

On the way there, the kids were getting really excited and I could hear the sounds of "Are we there yet?" and "I have to pee". Whoops, that was me. But anyways, the two little girls that sat across from me were putting up each others hair and it was so funny because the one was talking a mile a minute and she suddenly went quiet. I look over and wouldnt ya know it, shes sound asleep. She still had the other girls hair in her hands.

We pull into the parking lot about 45 minutes later and all the kids are now going crazy. Oh wait, that was just my class. Go figure.

We wait for the instructions on what time to meet where. Then off we go in our groups to check out the animals. The batteries on my camera went dead about half way through but the other adults had theirs so at least everything got covered.

I spent the day chasing after the ones that kept running ahead and also trying to explain what each animal was and all the details of them. We saw some pretty cool stuff.

That part that pissed me off the most was that my ward and his cousin went on ahead of everyone else and finished the park in about a half hour. Then he wouldnt let him come with us to learn some fun stuff. That aggrivated me.

The kids thought the animals were great. Being inner-city kids, they dont get to see these animals close up. Or for the most part, get to touch them and pet them. It was really exciting for them. And the adults as well. I had a blast watching their faces light up when they saw the baby kangaroo come out of its moms pouch. Or when the tiger came up to the front of his cage and growl. The kids went into shock at that one.

They saw a real live giaffe and had no idea just how tall they really are. They were amazed. But the best was saved for last.

The Safari Ride. Ive been here before and Ive been on this ride. I knew what to expect. These kids and their parents didnt have a clue. You are riding along in a long cart that is being pulled by a tractor. There is an announcer at the back of the cart pointing out the various animals. While this happens, a herd of camels approach the cart on all sides and the kids go nuts. The camels stick their heads in and check everyone out.

I enjoyed seeing that part. Now its time to get ready to come home. We did a few group shots of all the kids and off to the buses we go. Whew, what a day. Im exhausted and so are my feet, back, arms, legs, the list goes on and on.

Once on the bus, my ward starts to get upset because he wants his snack and his cousin is refusing to give it to him. I was getting a bit on the pissed off side and told him flat out that my little guy needs to sit with me. So of course, once he is seated and buckled in, I give him a snack. I dont care if his cousin is pissed off. Tough tooties. Hes a little boy of five years old. What do you expect?

So after he nibbles and Im chatting with the other teachers, I feel a slump on my lap and hes out like a light. The girls across from me went kabonk as well. The funny part is that not only were the kiddies nodding off but one of the parents did too. There are pictures to prove it.

I had a hell of a time waking some of them up. But they all had a great time. I did too.

I know I will sleep good tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home