Monday, February 14, 2011

Whats That Smell?

What an unbelievable day. Its a wonder I havent had an aneurysm yet. It just gets better and better.

Woke up this morning and didnt feel like getting up. I hit the alarm one too many times and was 15 minutes behind scedule. Yes, in this house, we keep a tight schedule. Its a strict routine for Cami to follow. If this routine gets broken, she gets all out of whack. Its almost like she gets ready for school in her sleep. Actually, I think she really does. Its not like everything is timed down to the minute. I give about a 15 minute leeway to get things done before we have to walk out the door. Also included in this time schedule is that fact that my alarm clock is 15 minutes fast and the clock in my car is too. Which means I will always arrive on time. You know, in case there is traffic or I get up late.

Anywho, things were going pretty smoothly this morning despite the little set back. Cami didnt want to get out of bed though. But I told her that if she didnt get up within the next few minutes, I would call her teacher and tell her that she couldnt participate in the party today. That got her up really fast. Thats the benefit of being friends with the teacher.

Everything was fine til it was time to take the dog out for her morning business. I opened my front door and WHOA... Mind you that it opens to a hall and the main front door is about 20 feet away. But what assulted my nasal passages was enough to kill a horse. The smell was aweful. Even Mindy wanted to go back inside. Thats when I realized what it was. Skunk.

Skunk? Its the middle of winter. The coldest part of the year. Why am I smelling a skunk? Especially inside. No one else has a dog in my building so I know nothing was sprayed. It wasnt strong enough that it was inside but it was definately close by. I went to the front door and looked around. I didnt see anything so I let Mindy out fast, she peed and came back in. She didnt want to smell it either.

After that was settled, Cami and I gathered our coats and away we went. Of course, the closer I got to the parking lot, the stronger the smell. Thats when I realized that there was indeed a skunk. Dead in the middle of the main road. Of course my car was parked about 4 spots in. Definately a fresh kill. Im awake. Trust me.

We get in the car and I left the lot. I didnt bother to turn the heater on because you know what would have happened then. I wasnt about to smell that all the way to the city. That is also when I realized that I didnt need to turn the heat on anyway. It was quite warm out. Not that it was about 20F yet, but that is warm compared to what it has been lately. So I left the heat off and went about my way. I was making good time too.

Of course the roads were clear til I got to the Hill. Then the roads were the same crappy way as they were the week before. High snowbanks, cars parked everywhere, no sidewalks, kids wandering in the middle of the road. Same crap, different day. You have to weave in and out of the cars and empty parking spots because its pretty much down to one lane traffic. Normally, thes streets are wide enough for two lane traffic with a car parked on the curb. Its a disaster. But then again, thats what happens when no one cares to move their cars for the plows.

I finally made it around to the front of her school and dropped her off. But only after having to give her money for lunch and what ever she has charged. She claimed to have a charge bill. So I handed her $5 and she went on in. Now the real fun begins.

I have to either go back out the way I came and do some rounding out for one way streets, or I could take my chances on the narrow streets going the other way. I took my chances and got caught behind a bus. Of course the bus couldnt get through so I had to back out and take the other route. This is getting so stupid.

I finally make it to the street I need to be on and I pulled into McDonalds for coffee. I get to the drive thru order thing and a voice tells me that they are closed for the morning due to renovations. What? On a Monday morning? Are you nuts? So I pulled back out and decided to go back down a block to the DD. Of course the corner that it is on is a one way street. So I have to go all the way back down to the main road and swing around that way. I get to the drive thru order thing and slid on some ice. I passed the order thing by about 5 feet and had to yell back to the person. I couldnt understand what they were saying so I just pulled up to the window anyways.

Oh, I also forgot to tell you that while I was on the way to McDs, there was a car in front of me spewing something nasty from their exhaust. Im glad I didnt have the heater on or it would have been worse.

So anyways, I get my two large coffees and away I went. I work across from the McDs so that was a hassle getting back through there. I had to cut back through the parking lot or take my chances at the light and go in front of the other school where I know there will be buses blocking the road. I finally make it to school on time and get inside where I could take a breath.

There is one more problem though. I am a coffee junkie. I admit it. Normally I only get the one large coffee. Some mornings I get two. But there is a difference. At McDs, I get the regular large and also a medium carmel mocha. McDs coffee isnt as strong as DD. Its more mellow and less bitter too. This is why I drink it. Stupid me didnt think about what I had ordered at DD. I got two large regular coffees. At about 10am, I was about halfway finished with the second one and I was all jittery and shaky. Not a good thing. As Im sitting here right now at 11pm, Im still feeling that affect. You can bet that I wont be getting any coffee tomorrow. Im thinking its a juice and milk morning.

Oh, and who thought of getting the kiddies all sugared up with a holiday party and then sending them home? I dont mind it for my class but my kid was all sorts of wired all evening.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home