Friday, September 04, 2009

Cat Tails...

Cat Tails...

This post was started about a month or so ago. Yes its one that I started but didnt finish. Well here is the finished one.

Yes I spelled it wrong on purpose. Or maybe I spelled it right. Eh, who knows. Depends on how you take it for what this post is about. Its about my cat. Yep. My cat.

Its been hell here for the last couple of weeks. Between my daughter pulling her fits, staying up all night and just generally being hyper, its been a long week. But its the cat that Im more worried about. Even as I post this, she is staring me down like she knows I am talking about her. Oh wait, she wants her box cleaned. Be right back.

Ok, Im back. While I was at it, I took the dog out for her final business for the night and I also gave kitty her medicine. Yes, medicine. She has been so sick the past couple of weeks. This is how it started...

My cat is very attached to me. I cant go anywhere without her following me and making sure that Im still there. I adopted her from a home where she was a lap cat to two elderly people. She was also there with her sister. She was adopted the same day but to a different family. Right from the start, this was my kitty. She called out to me from her little glass cage at the adoption clinic at Petsmart. The adoption clinic is actually run by a private rescue agency. I was there to bring my dog to the groomer. Upon leaving the dog there, I was walking out of the store when I looked over at the kitties in the cages and I could see her staring at me. Drawing me to her. Within the hour, the papers were signed. When I came back later for my dog, I also picked up kitty and brought her home too.

When kitty has issues, she comes to me. She is very particular about her box. Holly never did it but now Mindy has a thing with the box. Im not sure why dogs do it but they think it is some sort of cookie jar. Sara is a very clean cat so she wants her box cleaned out. Not sure if it is mostly because she wants a clean box or that she doesnt want the dog to eat it. Its like she uses the box and then comes to me to say "clean the crap out of there before the big black hairy thing eats my present for you". Weird. But thats how she is. I keep the box clean because thats just how it is. I wouldnt want to use a dirty toilet, so my cat doesnt have to use a dirty box. And I also keep the back yard clean so that my dog doesnt have to use a dirty spot either. Im not anal, Im just clean.

A week ago this past Thursday, I noticed something on the floor. It appeared to be a spilled chocolate shake. Oh, I must warn you that this will be technical and quite gross about the bodily functions of a cat. If you are eating, you might not want to read this. Put the food down or finish it fast before continuing.

Anywho, I cleaned up the mess in the kitchen because I thought that Cami might have spilled something. You never know with her. But then again, how did she get a chocolate shake in the first place? I didnt give her one and no one has been out to get one. Chocolate shakes ususally come to this house via BK. But we didnt go. But also, this mess didnt smell. I dont know what it is but I cleaned it up anyways. Also, the cat didnt alert me to it.

During the day I was alerted to the sound of heaving. There is nothing like the sound of a cat heaving up a hairball. Its such a pitiful sound. When she released the contents, it was just green/yellow foam. A sure sign of bile. Nothing else came up with it. She did this a few times. I chalked it up to her trying to lose a hairball. But then I thought about it for a minute and remembered that she was tracking something in the kitchen for a couple of days. I wasnt sure what it was. I know that it was under my counter inside the cabinets that no one is allowed into. She has a way of pulling the doors open and going under there so I have little locks on them. Its like I child proofed the house. Then again, I do have locks on pretty much everything because of the child. But thats another story.

A house centipede was caught in that time so I thought maybe she found another and ate it and it was upsetting her tummy. She has been known to catch other various insects and eat them. Sort of like a protection thing. Look ma, I caught Godzilla and ated him for you. As many of you know, Godzilla is a large spider that lives in my bathroom and gets free peep shows. But we wont go into that.

So I figured I would give her a day or two to get rid of what was in her tummy and if that didnt work then she would have to go to the vet. Shes a tough kitty so I would give her the chance. She was drinking and eating at the time so I wasnt too worried. Friday came and the same thing was happening. She was vomiting up bile. Nothing else with it. Also her food dish was still full and untouched. I went to clean the litter box and there was nothing in it. This is odd. If I dont get to it in time, the dog will eat the "cookies" but there wasnt any pee in it either. I went through the house looking for spots that she might have used instead. She wasnt the type to do this though. She is very particular about her box. She is a neat and tidy kitty.

I didnt find anything but her little puddles of foam on the kitchen floor. But then I noticed there were spots on the carpet and she was pretty much just sleeping in the diningroom under the table in the corner. This is not like her. Shes a dominating one for a spot on my bed. She wasnt there. Now Im getting worried. Also she prefers to drink from the dogs water bowl and she hasnt been to it.

A little later I saw her head to her box. I thought that everything would be ok. She didnt go into it though. But I heard the sound of the heaving again and went to investigate. Sure enough, there was the tell-tale foam but also a spot where I noticed some with a brownish color in it. I assumed that this was also bile with some blood in it. I should also tell you that this is Saturday morning now. I called the vet and they didnt have hours for me to come in and told me to watch over her until Monday morning and to call back. If it got really serious then I was to call the emergency vet but they didnt see the dire need for it at this point. Well I do, but the emergency vet was an hour away and I would have prefered her go to her normal vet.

So by Monday morning I was really nervous for my kitty. She hasnt eaten and she wasnt using the box or going anywhere else. I called the vet back and they told me to bring her right in. I did. They checked her out and got everything in order. They told me what they wanted to check her out for and then showed me the estimate. I nearly choked. But this is my baby and I couldnt let her die. So I filled out the paperwork for the credt so that I could make payments on all this. If not, I didnt know what I was going to do. I didnt have that sort of money in my pocket and I needed to make sure she got better.

In the mean time, Cami was crying over her kitty which got me crying. A few minutes later I got the message that they approved me for the bill on credit. Whew. What a relief. So I signed all the papers and they took kitty to the back to start the xrays and stuff. They told me to call at about 5 to see whats up and then I could come get her. Ok. Lets go home and pace the floor there. And that is what we did.

At 5pm sharp, I called and they told me that kitty was ok and that I was to come to get her and the vet would talk to me then. Ok, that is a mixed reaction. What will the vet tell me? Im nervous but I went to get my baby. As soon as I walked in the door, they took me to the back to see my kitty. The doctor showed me the xrays and said that she does have a UTI and that she was dehydrated. They kept her on fluids all day and that did wonders for her. They said that because she was dehydrated, there was a stool blockage and that everything was all fixed. She said that they gave her some strong antibiotics and that within the next day or two, she will release everything like no tomorrow. So they sent me home with her and some medicines for her to take for two weeks. Yep. Nothing like giving a cat a pill.

it was only two medications. A liquid antibiotic and a pill that will help her sick tummy. I can deal with this. Shes pretty good about taking a pill. But I know she wont like it for two weeks, twice a day. But she did well with it. My total bill for all this was just under a grand. Im glad I can pay it in installments. Kitty, dont get sick for the next two years.

The next day, she did vomit a little and the brownish stuff was gone. The vet had told me that it wasnt vomit when she did that. She said that was forced unrine with blood in it. She did use the litter box and thats what I found in there too. But she peed a lot. And I do mean, a lot. She wasnt so dragged out and she did take the meds very well. Like she knew she didnt have a choice in the matter. I dont think she wanted to go back to that vet any time soon.

By the next day, she was up chasing the dog as usual. This is another good sign. And also she pooped a little. Yay!! Like I should be excited that my cat pooped. But she came to me to tell me that there was something in her box for me. Shes good that way. She hates a dirty box, so I have to clean it as soon as she uses it. That and I didnt want the dog to eat medicated snacks. Sounds so gross doesnt it?

The next day she was doing much better and she pooped some more. Shes been eating like a starving rat. So there was a lot of poop this time. Another good sign. And shes so snuggly. I figured she would hate me after putting her through all that. But she has seperation issues so she knows that mom is the one to go to when something isnt right. And also when everything is right. She clings to me.

About a week after all this happened, she was back to tracking something again. It was driving me absolutely crazy. She would go to the cabinet and dart around trying to get into it. Then she would run to the wall where the washer and the stove was and go back and forth. She has a growl that would scare a bear away. So of course Im out ther with her trying to see what it is. I couldnt find anything so I went back to bed. This was 230am. I was tired and needed sleep but she wasnt about to let that happen.

Right outside my door is a sort of cabinet that has doors on the bottom and a few shelves on top. She was trying to get at something under there. I got the flash light out and saw nothing under there. Yes, Im laying on the floor even with the thought that there will be some nasty bug in there. But I wanted whatever it was so I could sleep. I even got the broom out and went behind the cabinet and still nothing.

I went into my room and sat on the bed. She came in and laid down next to me. Soon, she would growl again and dart out to the kitchen. Still finding nothing I went back to bed. Again. Now its about 4am and she decided to go sit up on the counter. I watched her from my bed and she was stalking something. Listening intently. Her ears perking. He head darting back and forth. Suddenly there was that growl. She lept off the counter, sprung to the table, down to the floor and landed near the dogfood bag. I heard the rustle and then nothing. I came out and clicked on the light and there she stood with something in her mouth. i saw the tail and the smug look on her face. She dropped it at my feet and said, here you go mom. It was a mouse. Alive still and it was trying to get away. I caught it and tossed it down the street outside. I cant voluntarily kill them. So it will go find a new home somewhere else. I hope that got rid of that. I dont want anymore. I spent the next day cleaning everything in my kitchen.

Its been over a month now and shes been doing great. No signs that anything went wrong with her. I have the first payment due for her bill tomorrow. They will take it directly out of my account so that makes it all the better. Shes currently laying in front of the AC and the dog is next to her. Good thing they sort of like each other.

1 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

So glad she's turned the corner. I hate it when my cats get sick, especially when it isn't obvious what is wrong. Zima had me worried last week. I came home from work and she was under the bed and wouldn't come out. Pulled her out and she didn't want to eat or drink. But the next day she seemed more like herself. Who knows what it was? She's 15, so any weird behavior makes me worry. We think maybe Silvio was giving her a hard time.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home