Friday, July 24, 2009

Alls Well That Ends Fair...

Alls Well That Ends Fair...

I know I forgot about writing about the fair. It was a great day. We had a lot of fun. When we first got there, of course I had to go into the Antique barn to see all the good stuff. Im a nut for antiques. I must have lived in a past life. Call me nuts but I like seeing the inside of older funeral homes because of the cool antiques. But enough of funeral homes. I dont talk about them too much.

Inside the door, the first thing we see is the old set up of circus trains on a track. Usually this is about 4 sheets of plywood laid out with all sorts of old electric trains and some sort of miniature town and circus. An older man was at one end with a switch box and you could tell he was enjoying the fun of playing with trains. Trust me, you wouldnt think it was fun but I grew up in a house that had a very simular set up. My brother Pat was big into trains.

Cami walked over and of course she was havign a blast watching them. The old man asked her if she wanted to drive a train. Of course she said yes. So she went over to the box and the old man told her which switch to hit and which dial to turn. Within a couple of minutes, she had that train going around the track and giggling. She then told the old man that her grandpa worked on the railroad and woudl always say that it sucked. So the old man explained to her that working on the railroad and playing with the trains were two different things. Cant have fun while you have to work.

Then we went looking at some other goodies. Everything was either behind a sort of low fence or behind glass in cases. In other words, look but dont touch. Which is a good thing when it comes to displays like this. All the antiques in there belonged to someones personal collection and quite frankly, I wouldnt want someone touching my very old valuables. Well not so much as touch, but think of 5,000 hands on your grandmas china and thinking that it could fall and break. Id be pissed.

But also, Cami was pointing out all the things she knew. Mostly the things we had. I collect antiques. But I use mine. Trust me, there is nothing better than frying an egg in an old enamel fry pan from 1920. Its the best out there. Nothing cooks better. Plus there were a couple of trunks there. So she did get excited to see that the ones I have are in much better condition. Some old bowls, and some utensils were things she was picking out that we use at home. Its not that Im too poor to get new stuff, I just prefer the old stuff. It was made better.

This brought the attention of the little old ladies that were sitting in the corner. The ones that volunteer to sit there all day and tell stories about the old times. One started to tell me that they do judging on the condition of the old things that are on display. Of course that would explain that everything had some sort of color of ribbons on them. We knew that though. But she was telling me that she heard Cami talking about all the things we have at home and that we should display them at the fair for next year. I said that we couldnt as we didnt live in that county. She said not to worry about that because she liked the idea that I had nice antiques in near mint and usable condition. Finally, someone that agrees with me. Too bad shes as old as my grandmother. Made me feel really young. *sarcasim* Its hard to explain that you have so much in common with someone three times your age. In a way that is a good thing because I love the past and I love history in general. Like I said, I lived in a past life.

The next stop was the agricultural area. The farm animals and all the things to do on a farm. Yet another area I like. I grew up on a farm so none of this stuff shocked me. It shocked a city kid though. Butshe went into the 4H archery area and shot some arrows. She did a hell of a great job too. Something she discovered that shes good at. She had great form and great height. Out of the seven arrows she fired, 6 of them hit the target. I was impressed and she won a little ribbon for it.

After that we went to see some of the smaller animals like rabbits and chickens. Cami even found a long haired guinea pig that had three different colors. She said, Mom, your hair looks like that one. I couldnt help but laugh. But you know I will be checking out a mirror soon. I just dyed my hair.

It was drizzling rain out but that didnt stop anyone. It actually kept the dust down and the air cooler. We headed for the midway and to get something to eat. Nothing better than the greasy mess of fair food. I stopped and grabbed us a couple of smoothies. Of course we have to get them in the cups that advertize the fair. We do that every year. Then she wanted pizza so I got some chicken. We sat in the chicken bbq tent and thats when all hell broke loose.

The rain came down in buckets. And I do mean a lot of it. Within about five minutes, the roads were flooded and people moving for cover. Of course that also meant business for the bbq tent. The stuff is good. I look forward to it. Of coure I look forward to the funnel cakes too but thats another tale.

After the rain, we moved out to the midway again and she played some games and won some animals. Another thing shes good at. Then she wanted an airbrushed tattoo and then we started for the gate to head home. It was a long day.

Of course, on the way out, we stopped for that much desired funnel cake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home