Saturday, August 29, 2009

Happy Birthday Cami....

This post is one of those that I was working on. Her birthday was on Aug 11th. So yeah, this one is a little late.

I dont even know where to begin with this post. The past week or so has been a blur. Once again, I do have posts that I started and never finished. But we will get to them later. This happens to be one of them. Im a few weeks late with this one.

Im going to refer to this post as the birthday week. Yes, week. Cami turned the big 10 last on the 11th. But the party hasnt ended yet. It just seems to go on and on for a long time. Thats kinda cool for a kid though.

First off, for her birthday, she was going to be going to the Drive-In to see a couple of movies. The weather forecast was aweful and we decided to cancel. She flipped out. Its perfectly understandable but she didnt seem to actually get a grip on this one. She was more concerned with the movie thing rather than just sitting in a car and not seeing anything but rain. So we talked her out of it but she wasnt happy at all.

To compensate for this, she recieved some of her gifts early. We didnt go to the camp this week because of the bad weather. Its really no fun to do things in the rain there. Yes, can you tell this whole summer had a lot of rain?

On her birthday, we went to the mall with grandpa and had a nice lunch. She wanted some weird icecream thing at the 99 so I let her have it. I knew she would be wired up and it was her birthday. Let her enjoy herself. She got a new outfit to wear and she was happy. Afterwards we went to the other mall to Build-A-Bear and she got a bunny with some Hannah Montana clothes. She likes going there. Sadly, this time I didnt get one for myself. What? Its fun. Afterwards we had cake and icecream.

We had plans to go to the camp for the upcoming weekend after her birthday so that grandma could have the chance to party with her too. Its been hot and humid out and finally feeling like summer. Wednesday night, Tim and Lisa came over for a nice visit. I havent seen Tim in about 8 years and Lisa in about 10 years. We had a nice visit and they got to spend some time with Cami. I wish we could have had more time with them. Maybe now we can visit more often.

The time spent at camp was great. We left late on Thursday. We had alot to do and to prepare for a sleep over here on Saturday when we got home. So by the time we got to the camp it was dinner time. Mom made one of my favorites. Ham and cabbage. Cami ate the ham and some potatoes. Then we had some cute butterfly cupcakes. This was a guarentee that she would be up all night.

After this we decided to chill for a little while and go to the fireworks at a local resort. They put them on every Thursday and I promised her that she would get to see them. Of course they dont start til its long after her bed time. But Im sure the cupcake earlier will compensate for it. Im hoping she might be a little more calm by now. So we packed up the lawn chairs and off we went. Once there we set everything up and prepared to sit and chill to wait for the show to begin. Its still a little light out but you have to get there early or you wont get a place to park. Or at least not one that you will be able to get to the road easy when its time to leave.

Of course Cami was not going to sit still for anything. And to make matters worse, an icecream truck parked next to us. Not only was this a major distraction to Cami but the music was annoying as hell. The man was selling icecream but he also had his tiny little daughter with him. Although she was about 4 years old and quite cute, she wouldnt stop playing with the music machine that makes all the ding-a-ling songs. So we were forced to listen to bits and pieces of nursery songs. Or we listened to some repeatedly. And then there was the special effect of a duck quaking along to the music. I swear I wanted to rip the wires out of that thing. If there was any form of torture that could be used against enemies, that music most certainly would have been my choice. And the ducks would have been dinner.

So while that was annoying, the night sky made up for it. It was a beautiful night. Not to hot and not to cold with a nice breeze. We are used to coming here for the fireworks so we know the routine. There is a cemetery at the end of the long lawn of the resort. That is where they set off the fireworks. At the far end corner of the cemetery. I can see the torch where they were setting it all up. Some of the kids waiting for the show will play on the lawn on the other side of the fence. Thats fine with me. But I wonder if they knew about all the bats that were flying above their heads. There are about 5 willow trees that line a small lake on the other side of the lawn. The bats were darting in and out of the trees. The kids were playing on the lawn. As the sky got darker, the bats were coming closer and closer to the street lights on the road. So we just leaned back in our chairs and watched them. Cami ont he other hand was too interested in dancing and prancing around to the music of the icecream truck. But my now, she realized that my answer was still no. She was not going to be buying anything that involved more sugar tonight.

We watched some planes in the sky and watched the stars slowly make their way into view. The clouds over the mountains have moved away and the view was beautiful. Of course my camera was back at the camper so I cant show anyone how pretty it really was. But the Catskill mountains have their own special beauty. Rolling in so many different heights and layers and covered with trees. The bigger ones are more south from where we were but the way they just look there is pretty enough. Its a hell of a view in the fall.

Cami was still doing her dance and I noticed that she was interested in the speed limit sigh that was near us. So of course I made the joke about it being "her" sign. Only because she was going on about a mile a minute. The sign said that the speed limit was 40mph and I pointed that out to her that we were sitting there for about that length of time. She understood what I meant and it was funny. Just not to her. Suddenly the 5 minute warning sign went off. A loud boom that echoed through the mountains and nearly caused Cami to jump out of her skin. She chose that moment to sit down and wait for the show. Now why didnt I think of that sooner?

Soon the sho began. The colors were spectactular. The blooms were stunning. But thats when things went awkward. Well in a funny way. My mom made a comment about one type of bloom. When the shot goes up in the sky and the bloom bursts, the sparks seems to make a squealing noise and then swirl around for a few seconds. She said that they look like spermys. I giggled a little. Cami said that it was pretty and waited for the next one to shoot off. A couple of blooms later, she leaned against my shoulder and said that she liked the spermy ones and wanted to see more sperm. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. I know she didnt know the meaning of it and just took it as something we said they were. Not the sexual reference. She was being so innocent about it and that made it more funnier. I didnt say anything to my mom but I did tell Cami that she shouldnt say that anymore and to just called them the swirly ones instead. She said ok and of course when that bloom happened again, she remembered to call them swirly ones. But I was still laughing about it.

The show was great and lasted for a while. Then it was time to go home. Back to the camp. Mouse had already set up the fire pit for the bon fire we have every night. Well the nights that it doesnt rain. And this was a great night for it. Cami took her night meds and decided on some popcorn and a movie in bed. Mom set up the sofa bed in the livingroom and turned on the tv for her. We went back outside for the fire and just to chill and relax. It was a great night and we spent our time around the fire telling stories and laughing. I told them about the spermy thing and we all laughed that time.

The next day was a great day. I wasnt feeling all that great though. Even though Cami went to sleep, she kept waking up in her sleep and talking in her sleep. So around lunch time I decided on a nap. Mom was going to take Cami up to the pool for a while so I took the chance to catch some Zzzs. Mouse had already gone in to take a nap. So he sacked out in the bedroom and I sacked out on the couch. Suddenly, as I hard moms cart leave, Mouse got up and headed out the door. I heard his cart leave too. So I just went into dreamland and took int he peace and quiet.

I woke up a couple of hours later to the sound of the carts returning. Cami came running in, changed out of hr bathing suit and ran back outside. Mouse came in and went into his room to change and came back out. The next thing I know, they leave again. Mom is just sitting on the deck reading the paper. She said they went to the lake to play. I said ok. I pulled out some beading and went to work. I dont get too much time to do this now that shes around all the time and wanting me to do stuff with her. You know me, my kid comes first. About an hour later, Mouse comes back alone. Ummmm... Where is my kid? He said shes up on the dock with some friends and he came down to get his fishing pole because they got the RC boats stuck in out in the lake. Ummm.... Ok. Soon they bothe came back with the boats and told us the story. Apparently one boat got stuck in some weeds so they were using the other one to get it out. That boats battery died and they couldnt reach them. So they decided to get into a regular boat to go get them but they couldnt get into the cove enough to reach for them because the RC boats drifted into some logs. So they were using the fishing poles to get them out. It worked and they had a lot of fun. He really enjoys having her around. This is the grandchild that hes never had. He has thembut they dont spend time with him. And his own kids abuse him. Well the ones that are there all the time. Two of his sons that come to visit do treat him well, but the others are just nasty to him. So Ive taken that spot. Hes a great guy and he takes care of my mom. Thats all I need.

Late that night we roasted marshmallows on the fire and just chilled out. We left early the next day because Cami had a friend coming over for a sleep over. The weekend was exhausting. I was pretty burnt out. But I enjoyed it and so did Cami. The following weekend her friend came over again and I took them to the camp to go swimming. Her friend liked it there and we will plan to do it again. Halloween is coming soon and I know that she would love it there when we celebrate. Its a month earlier than the normal holiday so that makes it double the fun.

3 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

Happy (belated) birthday to Cami!

That is disappointing, not getting to see the movie at the Drive-In, but it sounds like the fireworks more than made up for it.

Would you believe that I've never been to a Drive-In movie?

5:27 PM  
Blogger BC said...

Well if you ever come north this coming summer, you are welcome to go. :D

Can you tell that I am waiting for summer again?

1:36 PM  
Blogger fermicat said...

We've still got at least a month of summer left.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home