Friday, August 28, 2009

Ok... Open Wide...

Ok...Open Wide...

Yeah that should be something we all want to hear when we go to the doctor. Not.

On Wednesday I had a doctor appointment. Im sure I explained all this in a past post somewhere. Either that or I didnt actually finish writing that one. But let me refresh it for you. At one time in my life, a long time ago, I had a doctor that we will call Dr. H. Dr. H. was my primary doctor. But being that I am a female, I would also need a secondary doctor too. We all know that that is for. So I found Dr. S. Both doctors are wonderful people and know what they are doing. Very highly trusted for what they practice. Ive had both of these doctors for a long time. When I was pregnant, Dr. S. was the one I had to go to see all the time. Also at this time, he changed to a womens primary and well as all the other specialties. So in the long run, I just stayed with Dr. S. for everything I needed. That was more than 10 years ago.

Dr. S. recently decided to close up shop, move somewhere closer to his family in another state and then retire. So this meant that I have to find another doctor. I decided to go back to Dr. H. But he couldnt do all the other stuff so that meant finding another secondary doctor. This was not easy to do. A few months later I found out that Dr. S. decided to stay in the area and was working in a clinic downtown for low income patients as an OB/GYN. I was a bit miffed but I decided that the trauma was enough with losing him once that I didnt want to lose him twice. So I called up Dr. H. to see who he would recommend. He recommended Dr. M. Being that what I needed to have done was a minor sort of proceedure that couldnt be done with any other type of doctor and this wasnt just the annual exam. So I called and set up an appointment with Dr. M.

This was the day of the appointment and I was so nervous. Its one thing to meet a new doctor but its another to meet a new doctor that will be looking at parts of you that you would rather he not see. But then again, this is something that has to be done every year and he sees a lot of different patients. He wouldnt remember one from the other being any different. But then again, he hasnt met me yet. I seem to leave a lasting impression. And no, its not because he is looking at my parts.

Mind you that its still summer vacation here and I have my kid along for the fun. Shes 10 years old now so this is something she will have to prepare for in the future anyways. Shes been to Dr. S. with me during these times as well so this should be nothing new to her. Otherwise she has met Dr. H. a few times and the other doctor that shares his office and patients. But that was only for the pain in my feet. But she likes all my doctors so thats a good thing. Someday they might be her doctors. And the have lollipops. Thats the bonus.

So we are on the way to see Dr. M. I explained to her what he would be doing to me and I gave her the option of being in there with me or waiting in the waiting room. I actually would rather have her in the room with me because I know the trouble she can get into when shes bored.

Anyways, we get to the place and I check in. They give me tons of papers to fill out and I sit down to do so. Cami of course is the charmer and the receptionist offers her some hot chocolate. What kid with ADHD says no to something sweet. So she shows her how to use this really cool coffee maker for it. Cami thought it was the best thing in the world and offers me and everyone else in the office some coffee. But she wants to use the cool machine to make it. We all declined as it was a hot day out and being in a doctors office, we know we have to eventually pee in a cup and our bladders are already full. Thank you anyways.

So now its my turn to go in. Im dreading this. I have no idea what is behind that big heavy oak door. The nurse is really nice and she goes through all the questions that I need to answer. She checks my blood pressure and all that jazz. Cami is playing with her DS and just chilling out in a chair. Then the nurse told me to come with her down the hall to the bathroom so that I could relieve my overflowing bladder into a cup. Ahhh.... Relief is in sight. So she shows me this really beautifully decorated room and showed me where everything was. Ok, I can handle this right? Wrong. This is where all hell broke loose. This is where I will leave my lasting memory.

The room was all decorated in beautiful furnishings and everything looked victorian. The handles of everything and all the towels and even a curio cabinet with pretty vases and flowers. Even the doorhandle was beautiful. Thats where it all went wrong. I did my thing in the cup. Washed my hands. Dried everything off. Cleaned up after myself and then I reached for the handle. It wouldnt move. It wouldnt go up. It wouldnt go down. The lock button wouldnt pop out. I tried again. And then I tried again. Thats when I heard on the other side that I need to pull up. I did pull up and Im pulling up again. The voice said to pull up harder. So I did. Nothing happened. So then the voice pulled on the handle and it opened. Boy was my face red. They then told me that it happens all the time. It unlocks from the outside but gets stuck on the inside. Im thinking that they need a new door handle. So I shuffled down the hall to another room where I would get my height and weight checked. Im still red and I think I might have shrunk in my shoes a bit.

I stood on the scale and the nurse said I was two inches taller than I thought I have always been. Wait, I thought I shrunk into my shoes. So I told her what my height should have been and thats when she informed me that due to my special moment in the bathroom, she forgot to tell me to take off my shoes. Oh. Thanks for reminding me. So the height thing came out correct after that. Then she checked my weight with my back still turned away from the scale. Which was a good thing. I didnt want to know what that said.

I stepped down and went back to the original room and waited for the doctor to come talk to me. Cami was still sitting in there playing her game. She giggled a little and reminded me again that I got locked in the bathroom. Will this ever end? The doctor came in a couple of minutes later and introduced himself. He seemed like a great guy. Then he asked me what I was there to see him for. I told him that I was there so that I could try out his bathroom and he started to laugh. He knew what I was talking about and apologized for it. I said that it wasnt a big deal and it broke the ice and the nerves that I had. So that was a good start. He was really cool about it and we had some good stories.

So then we got down to business. I told him what I was there for and we chatted about a few things. Then he told me to get undressed and he would be back for the usual exam. At this point, Cami decided to bail out on me too and she went to the waiting room. I was hoping that she would stay out of trouble. Im sitting there with one of those gowns on with it opened in the back and he came in with the nurse. He did the exam as he was supposed to do and then he said he wanted to talk to me about some options for the reason I was there. So we chatted about that and then he told me that I needed to go and get another exam. You know, the one where they seem to remove your chest for a while and twist it into shapes that were not intended for their use.

We also discussed the possibility of whether or not I want more kids. Well that thought occurred to me the day Cami was born and the decision was not a hard one to make. Nope. No more kids for me. But I wasnt ready to make that choice final yet. So he told me to think about it some more and to call him with what ever my choice was. I will call him on Monday to let him know that I am not ready to make it all final. Even though there wont me any more coming from my body, Im still going to hold out. Not for hope. Just the mental thing.

When I was ready to leave, I went to the waiting area to see my daughter reading a book to a little girl about a year old. It was so cute and sweet. I thought for sure she would have made some sort of mess for me to clean up. You know, like magazines and stuff. The little girls mother thanked her and told me what a wonderful and polite child I have. That felt really good.

And as we were walking out the door, she thanked Cami for the cup of coffee.

1 Comments:

Blogger MacRankin said...

Blimey, what a day that must have been for you. Still, you carried it off all rather well.

For a while there, I thought you were going to have an unimaginably, embarrassing moment or two in that bathroom. LOL

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home