Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Dear Tooth Fairy...

Dear Tooth Fairy

Cami lost another tooth the other night. Its one of her pre-molars. You know, the ones before the bigger molars. It was loose for a while and she kept playing with it. It drove me crazy watching her do it. Her face would contort and crunch up while she twisted her tongue to be able to wiggle it. She did this unconsciously and it was amusing.

Well I think it was time to get it out and I had her sit there in front of the tv with a wet cloth and pull on it. Didnt work. This thing wasnt going to budge. I didnt want to do the ole tie a string to a doorknob because this would probably cause her nightmares. Its bad enough she is up in the middle of the night now. I dont need her crying in my bed.

Then comes the magical moment. At about 330am, she comes running into my room, scared the shit out of the cat, the dog jumps up and leaps over me to get to the cat and Im now wondering if the house is on fire. "MOM!!! My tooth came out!!!" Oh joy. Couldnt this wait for morning? And she shows me. Seems that the new tooth is already halfway in.

Somehow I managed to get her an envelope to put it in and I told her to leave it on my desk and that the tooth fairy would come tomorrow night. I think this upset her a little but I only had one eye partially open and wasnt about to go tiptoeing through the night and sneak in her room. It wasnt happening. My luck is that I step on something or trip. More than likely it would be the dog or the cat.

All the next day, she fretted about the tooth. Fearing that since she didnt put it under her pillow that very moment that the fairy wasnt going to come. Im not sure what she is more upset about, the tooth fairy or the money. Im guessing the latter.

Well the next night comes and Im debating on when to do this. Shes known to get up in the middle of the night and raid the fridge or sneak into my room. I decided to wait til morning before I woke her for school. At 630am, the alarm went off and I planned my attack. I sneak into her room and shes sitting there on her bed. Apparently she got up an hour earlier and was upset that the tooth fairy didnt come.

Damnit. Now what do I do? I tossed her in the shower and moved in for the kill. I left the tooth where it was but slipped the money into her pillowcase. Three crisp dollar bills to be exact. Damn inflation. I went into the bathroom to help her finish up her shower and I then explained to her that the tooth fairy was probably scared when she woke up but was in the process of wandering about her room. Then I pulled the ole... Hey did you see that fly past? Of course she jumps and says OMG a bee in the house. *slaps forehead*

I let it all slide by and continued to get her ready. I then jumped in the shower. Suddenly I hear a squeal and her rushing in. Of course there is that cold draft that followed and Im now freezing. Shes good for that too. Well apparently she decided to crawl back into bed. Sneaky huh. Well when she put her head down, low and behold, the crunching of paper alerted her to something in her bed. Im sure she paniced and thought it was a bug at first.

So I stepped out of the shower and saw her standing there with money in one hand and her tooth in the other. Shes a little upset at first that the tooth fairy didnt take her tooth. She was upset that some baby now wont have a tooth. Yeah she thinks thats what the tooth fairy does with them. Recycles. Hey, it was a good idea at the time.

Then her eyes light up and tells me that she will leave it under her pillow again so maybe the tooth fairy will forget and leave her more money. Greedy. I explained to her that was not going to be the case because the tooth fairy doesnt forget these things. Of course that rained on her parade.

We both finish getting ready and I see her at the table writing something. I look over her shoulder and shes writing the tooth fairy a thank you letter. This is what it says.

Dear Tooth Fairy,

Thank you for the money but you forgot the tooth. Thats ok though. Please write me back.

Love Cami

How sweet. Now what do I do? Does the tooth fairy write back? I told her that she is probably really busy and that the only time she will come is if there is a new tooth for her. She tells me that she will leave the tooth for her. I said that there are no promises. Its now 1am and Im still not sure what to do. She knows my handwriting and I cant type it out. This is alot harder than a Dear Santa letter.

Maybe I should just take the tooth and leave a cookie.

6 Comments:

Blogger wa11z said...

Have a friend write the response. Just have it say something like:

Dear Cami,
Oops! I was in such a hurry! See you next time! Be nice to your Mom!
Love,
The Tooth Fairy

9:34 PM  
Blogger BC said...

Hahaha I like that last line. I did have someone write it but I forgot to get it from her when I left on Friday.

10:53 AM  
Blogger wa11z said...

Or you could leave something like:

Dear Cami,
Your Mom is the real Tooth Fairy and is very frazzled at the moment. Thus, she left you money and forgot to take the tooth.
Love,
The Tooth Fairy

P.S. Santa is dead.

12:45 AM  
Blogger BC said...

Im sure that will be next.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I had a similar thing happen with Molly's second tooth and I was caught with a quarter or a ten dollar bill. Seeing Molly had got two bucks for the first tooth, I couldnt' very well leave the quarter, could I? I felt the inflation the next day at lunch when I realized ... I'd forgot to go to the bank and gte more cash. That was like four years ago and Debit check cards were not really in my area.

6:39 PM  
Blogger BC said...

I think there should be a set rate. She hears the kids at school talk about getting more money from the tooth fairy. How am I supposed to explain that?

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home