Saturday, May 08, 2010

The Eyes Have It....

The Eyes Have It....

What a hell of a time we had with this. I will start by going back in time a little. Back to vacation week with Cami's eye issue. She developed a hemmorage in her eye. We still have no clue how or when it happened. But little by little over the next week, it went away. All but a small spot like how it started. Of course when vacation was over, it was also spring picture day at school. There is no retake day so this was it. Red spot or no.

So she got dressed up and did her hair pretty and all that jazz. I sent her to school and then I went to mine. I was in a small panic all day. I knew she would do well with her pictures but I didnt know if the photographer would take note of the message I left on the payment envelope about fixing the eye thing when they delevloped the pitcure. That was all I was worried about. Then again, I really didnt over care too much because it was one of those childhood things that will always mess up a picture. Sometimes its bad hair, or a stain on the shirt from lunch or even dirt from the playground. Something always screws up a school picture. But nothing like having an evil eye looking back at you. I got through it and Cami said she thought she did great with the poses that they made her do. Ok, I good with that.

On Wed though, we had another issue to deal with. She woke up upset that he eye was hurting. I thought that it might have broken again and I looked at it. The red spot was almost gone but the whole eye was all puffy and looked sore. I thought maybe it looked like a allergy or something. I gave her a cold wet cloth to put on it to soothe it. I told her that if it wasnt better byt the end of the day that I would make an appointment with the doctor. Well that came too soon because at about 11:00, I got a call from her school nurse that she might have pink eye and to take her out of school and to a doctor. Oh great. I told my boss about it and they told me to go get her and not bring the illness back with me. As you know, it is contagious.

So I went to get her. I walked into the nurses office and there she was with an icepack on it. I looked at it and it was all swollen, red and bloodshot. It was pussing and everything. Damnit, it was pink eye. I called the doctor right then and there and they got me in for a 1:00 appointment. We went home first to wash out the eye a little and I told her not to touch anything. Of course she did though. But shes a kid. Thats what kids do.

We went to the doctor and they took a swab of the puss and sent it to the lab. Came back as bacterial conjunctivitis. Not pink eye. Pink eye is viral. This was bacterial. Not much of a difference but still contagious. I was given a Rx for it and told to keep her home for the next few days. Well that would mean two days home from school and then the weekend. She would be able to go to school on Monday. Ok. I can deal with that. I would have to call in because I dont have a sitter. Oh well. Nothing much I could do about that.

So for the next few days, I was spraying everything with Lysol and following her around with the can. My house smelled like bleach and it was so clean that I didnt even recognize it myself. I was doing laundry every day. I washed her bedding constantly and cleaned all surfaces. I thought that the skin left my hands because of it all. But at least i would go away.

Oh, did I mention that the next day after the doctor visit, that it went to both eyes? Oh the joy. You could sit there and watch the puss form in her eyes. I would constantly tell her not to rub or itch her eyes. But of course she did. And she hated the drops. And she hated the antibiotics. And then there was more itching. But by Saturday she figured out to run the area under her eye without actually touching it. By Monday, she looked like a panda bear with huge red marks under her eyes from all the rubbing. But at least you could see her eyes were white and bright. But we still have her the drops for another week just to make sure.

Whats next for this poor child? Stay tuned because the best is yet to come. * grumble *

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home