Thursday, March 25, 2010

Orange Glow

Orange Glow

Just what the title means. Actually I couldnt think of anything else. No, its the nothe product endorsed by the late Billy Mayes. I do miss him though. Had that strange quality about him. Either that or the world was under the command of that black beard. Sort of weird how it was so.... black. Anywho, the orange glow was from the sky tonight.

The weather this past weekend was glorious. But the past couple of days have been miserable, gloomy and cold. Rain was the main forecast. Not something I wanted to deal with after the wonderful weekend. Well I should say mid weekend. Its didnt end so well.

Let me start by explaining the glow. It wasnt from some alien space ship. Although that would have been really cool to see. Its one of the mysteries of living in the city. Seems the city lights cause weird things to happen in the skies. When the sky is cold and cloudy, the city lights reflect. I went out tonight to take the dog out for her final business. Its one of the times that I do enjoy. No matter how hot or cold it is, I just like standing out there in the dark. The city tends to be so quiet at this time of the night. No one is out in the streets.

I explained in the last post about how the light flickers green and then to orange. Its that orange light that reflects in the misty rain. Its kind of cool to just look at. And while Im standing there, I like to listen to the trains in the distance. To the right would be the Amtrak. To the left would be the freight trains. Either way, the sound is soothing. The city sleeps, but the trains dont. I can hear them clacking on the tracks and the whistles blowing. I grew up with them so its comforting to me. Not like when I lived right next to the eastern end of the runway at the airport. That wasnt too comforting at all.

But I needed a few relaxing moments of peace. This weekend was absolutly crazy. I couldnt wait to get out of work on Friday. It was just one of those weeks you wanted to end quickly. Saturday was going to be a big day. I always enjoy a trip to see my relatives. As crazy as they sometimes can be, they are great to be with. SO the morning started off early. Cup of coffee and Im ready to walk out the door. My father was picking me up at about 9am. A little early for me on a Saturday. So that mug was warm and inviting. Now mind you that the mug I have is a two cupper. So I had one in my hands when we left.

By the time we were about half way there, we were at a service station and I was getting another refill. We arrived with a few minutes to spare. Actually 45 of them. So Cami and I went to do a little shopping. We like hitting one of the bargin stores there. Picked up a couple of things there and then went on to the Hallmark store to look for a specific Webkinz. I will explain my addiction to that later.

We didnt find the one I intended but I was able to pick up a retired one. She got a couple of figurines and some stickers. So we made out fairly well. Then it was off to meet the family for lunch. It was pleasant as usual and then a visit from a cousin I havent seen in a while. His daughter and her son came too. It was fun. But soon it was time to leave. We had to hit the Polish market on the way home. And we all know how much I love going there.

After spending some cash at the market and also getting some chocolates, we were off to home. But something happened along the way that I dont think I will forget. I am a huge advocate on mental illness. I cant stand when people abuse those that are "different". Just gets to me. There are some words that I refuse to use. They hurt me and Im sure they hurt those they are meant for. You know what words Im refering to, so I wont mention them.

I also have an interest in the old places that once housed the "insane". Of course we all know that back in the 1800s and early 1900s, people didnt know too much about mental illnesses except that they needed to be locked away and forced to endure cruel treatments. No one knew what a seizure was so they figured that they could lock people up and forget about them. Let the doctors have them. Experiment on them like they were nothing more than a lab rat. We all know differently now.

I have done extensive research on some of these former facilities. But not only was I curious into the history of the diseases and the treatments but also the buildings. The sheer size and designs of these places amaze me. The workmanship that went into building them was also amazing. Some of them are truely works of art. A few stood out. Even a few of the treatments that went on behind the walls interested me. Devices long ago destroyed because of inhuman abuse. One such device was called "the crib". Its sort of like an ancient restraining crate. Of course they are no longer used. Although some patients liked the use of it because it provided a sort of comfort to be contained. They knew they couldnt hurt themselves or anyone else while inside it.

My research to this item was limited and I didnt think much more about it til last weekend. As we left the market, we drove down a street I wasnt really familure with. I saw a really nice looking building. It was of red brick and it caught my eye. It was also old and boarded up. But I was curious and I asked my father what it was. He said it was the old lunitic asylum. That alone perked my interest. But he went by it and nothing more was said. Then about a block down there was this massive structure that blew me away. I asked him what that place was and he told me that was the new lunitic asylum. Of course he went on past that one too. So I didnt get a chance to really look at it or take any pictures.

When we got home, I went straight to my computer and went on the hunt to find out more about it. Not onloy did I find it but also the history of it. What it once looked like and what went on there. I also found out that the device I mentioned earlier was created there and that was the original name. The Utica Crib. You can look it up. There is some information in the following links and some pictures too. Although I couldnt find much for the red building. Im still looking for that one.

http://newyorktraveler.net/the-old-main-or-utica-lunatic-asylum-ny/

http://www.asylumprojects.org/tiki-index.php?page=Utica+State+Hospital

http://nysasylum.com/utica/index.htm

Sometimes I often wonder what those places were like. What stories they could tell. I would never go inside one. Not sure what to expect.

Mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of. There are many treatment options out there today. More and more patients live happy normal lives. You wouldnt even know they had an "illness". I work with them every day and I live with them.

More on the weekend in the next post. This one is way too long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home