Friday, June 05, 2009

40 is the new...40...

40 is the new...40....

Im using that quote from Tony. I prefer not to accept it though. Im not ready for. Sounds depressing doesnt it?

I think what Im trying to get at is that I really didnt want to be 40. I didnt want to be 30 either. I dreaded 30. This year is no different.

I think back on my brothers words to me. On my 30th birthday he said to me, "I know Im getting old when my baby sister turns 30." Im wondering what he is thinking now?

I really dont know why it bothers me so much. Im just not ready to accept it. I know I dont look 40. But its just one of those things where I think I have a fear of getting old too fast. I havent done all the things that I wanted to do yet. Maybe thats it.

I know in past blogs, I have told stories about past birthdays. I really dont actually have them. I dont really celebrate them. To me its not a big deal to be excited about them. This year it is no exception.

My morning started out like any other. My daughter was being a pain in the rear as always that early in the morning. Getting her to school is a challenge. Once shes there though, she is usuallyfairly good because her medication has kicked in. Now that I am in another school, I dont see that child. I only see the one that her meds are worn off.

But today she wasnt all that good. She had good intentions but that just lead to trouble. She was trying to stop her friends from fighting and ended up in the middle of it. So she spent the day in the Time Out room. I got the email from Mary telling me to call her about it. But at least she didnt start it. She ended it though. Not sure if I should be proud of that or not.

I went on to my school this morning thinking that I wasnt really in the mood to deal with crap. I felt that I should just adapt a mellow attitude and it will all go smooth. It pretty much did. Some of the kids remembered me talking about it being my birthday. But that was mentioned last week. Good thing they can remember that but they cant remember the school rules. Go figure. Selective memory.

The morning went pretty smooth. My one on one was doing a great job and he is adapting to me very well. He knows he will be rewarded for good behavior. He likes the computer so he knows he has to get his morning work done to get some play time til mom comes to get him. Hes getting used to this.

My afternoon was a little different though. Just before school ended, one of the kids was in flip out mode and I somehow got the brunt of it. He started to kick me and I had to restrain him for a little while. Its not all that fun when they are full of anger, adrenaline and sweaty. Oh the joy of holding down a sweating kid. To make matters worse, after I was able to calm him down, he sat there and peed his pants. Im glad I have that sort of impact on him. He wasnt scared of me. He was being defiant and then ended up going home with wet pants. Dont worry, I wasnt mean and put him on the bus that way. His mom came in to get him and she took him home that way. Not my problem when mom comes in the door.

So I decided that I was going to brush that off my back and get on with my day. I headed to Cami's school to pick her up and I was told to come to the break room with Kim to see the new goodies she bought. She had some really cool beads. That is the thing with us. We are both bead addicts. Of course she blames me for it. He he he. Moi? I know not of what you speak.

I was going to get some chicken at the BBQ but I realized that I didnt bring any money with me. So I figured I would go cash my pay check and come back to get some. I ended up hanging out at the school with my friends though. I spent too much time there and wasnt able to cash my check. But she also came out with some hand made birthday cards that brightened my day. She had the kids from my former class make them. I miss them really bad. I will have to make an appearance to see them before school ends.

I decided to just go straight home though. It was being to wear thin on me. My day was getting more and more exhausting and I wanted nothing more than to just take a shower and wash that sweat off me. It was gross. I got home and then thought about getting the plans ready for some yard sales for tomorrow. Kim is going with me and we will have some fun. I hate doing it alone and she finally has some time off. I like hanging with her. We have a good time.

So I ate some dinner and planned out the day. I will be getting up early tomorrow to go. I have some that I particualrly want to go to. Yep, Im pretty anal when it comes to yard sales. I get out the street maps and the note pad. I mark all the ones I want in the paper and then on the note pad I map them out in order of location. Its a mad dash to hit all the good ones before noon. Kim has to be home because she has to work and I have an appointment with a lady abotu a trunk at 2pm.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have an addiction to antiques. Wait, I know I mentioned that before. I use them though. I like the look and the feel of something that has been around and worn in. Things were made so much better and the quality is great. The new stuff today just doesnt last. Think about it. I can get a new bedroom set now and in about 10 years it will be pretty much shot. The bedroom set that I have now is over 100 years old and its still strong and sturdy. It makes a big difference. But I also like the story the piece has to tell. Not so much in words but the history itself. I like to know where it came from and how it got here. Yeah, Im weird like that. I like history.

So tonight I will be turning in a little early to get some extra sleep so that I can be fresh in the morning. Of course a trip to get coffee will be in order though.

So thats how I spent my 40th birthday. Just a normal day.

5 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

Happy Belated!

40 isn't so bad, especially when you don't look it. And it definitely beats the alternative...

3:52 PM  
Blogger MacRankin said...

Age only counts when others are counting. I stopped counting years ago. LOL

I'll be sending you a something or other for the celebration of you, if that's ok :D

12:23 AM  
Blogger BC said...

Hi!!! I was just thinking about you and wondering why you havent been around!! Everything ok?

9:38 PM  
Blogger MacRankin said...

Yeah, I've been wrapping my head around php -- a server side, scripting language.

Erm, btw, I wasn't able to send you that thing I had in mind. Silly peeps at A----- said they'd have it in stock by now, but they've moved the stock date until the 22nd. *rollseyes* LOL.

9:18 AM  
Blogger BC said...

And a Happy Birthday goes out to you :D

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home