Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Swear words....

Holy %@&# &*^@%)! &^@%&#%$....

I could go on but you get the picture. This week has just sucked. There is no other way to describe it. Im sure I can come up with other words but I prefer to keep this at a PG-13 level. I can take pain. I can take a lot of pain. Ive been taking a lot of pain for about a year now. I cant take that pain anymore. Ive had enough. So when I say that Im in serious pain, you can bet that its extremely serious. And you guessed it. This is serious.

I had gone to the doctor about a month ago for a complete physical. What happened was that this doctor was once my doctor many many moons ago. He was my primary and Dr S was my ob/gyn. It is required to have two seperate doctors. Well at about the time I got pregnant, I went to my secondary of course. During that time, he also changed his title as Ob/Gyn/Womens Primary. Needless to say that this became my one and only doctor for the past 9 years. He was my secondary for at least 20 years.

Back in May, I got a letter from Dr. S that he was moving out of state and eventually planning to retire. This sucked. This means Im back to finding a new doctor. So I decided to go back to Dr. H as my primary. He was happy to have me around again. We had always had a good doctor/patient relationship in the past.

So to become a re-established patient again, I needed to have a complete overhaul. And thats what I got. Well anyways, today was the follow-up visit for some new medications he gave me. While I was there, I told him about my foot. Now mind you that 9 years ago, I had seen him for some foot surgery on my toe. Not a pleasant deal there either. I remember his exact words that day. He touched the sore part and said, "this looks like it hurts like hell." Ummmm.... Yep. And my foot jerked up.

Anywho, he remembered that day too. So here it is, 3:30pm and Im getting that same treatment. He is poking at my foot and prodding to find the tender spots. Well guess what? Its all tender and it all hurts so stop ******* poking it!!! He laughs. He knows me too well.

The first initial diagnosis is a heel spur. Well duh. I wouldnt be here if it wasnt. But he wants more information. I love this doctors office because he has all his own labs and goodies. Even his own Xray room. Thats a good thing because I wasnt about to drive to the nearest facility to have it done and drive back.

But first he decides that there is an alternative treatment for me that he wants to do while we wait for the Xray room. A cortizone injection to the spur. *face slap to the forehead* I knew this was coming but I really didnt want it. Even though I knew that I needed it badly. I know what is to come.

So he tells me to lay flat on the table and proceeds to pull the flat metal part out further. He tells me to grip the sides and hang on for dear life. I already know that part. At least this time, I know enough not to grip with my nails. The last time, he put a needle in my foot, it went straight down the tip of my toe and I broke off all my fingernails gripping the sides. Yes, it hurts that much. But Im a trooper. I guess.

So this time, he pulls out the needle. Its not too pleasant looking. Oh, did I mention that Im scared shitless of needles? Well I am. I can tolerate them since I had to have so many with being pregnant and all. But I still hate them. Even the day I was there for my overhaul I had to have the flu shot and that hurt like hell too.

So he proceeds to come to the side of the table and turned his back to me. He layed himself across my right leg and gripped my ankle very tight. I think he remembered from the last time. He wasnt pulling any punches this time. Or kicks for that matter. He told me to grip tight and take a deep breath.

At this time he put the needle in as quick as he could to get the shot overwith. I screamed out in pain. I know the words s*** and f*** came out several times. But at least I didnt call him what I wanted to. Although he laughed afterwards and said he expected me to. He also went on to explain to me that he also had spurs so he knew what this pain and the shot was like. Well thanks for the enlightenment. Now please just cut off my foot.

He took me to the Xray room and I had several shots done of both feet. He wanted something to compare the good and the bad with. That ok but it still hurt like hell to even pose my right foot. And he did comment on my pedicure. For which I didnt have one. Guess that was a good thing then?

I went back to my room and he followed. He saw the pictures on the screen and said that it was a definate spur. Ok, we already knew that. Whats next? He said that because of the way I was being a baby to my right foot, I was walking weird and that caused the ankle to have a strain/sprain. Well no wonder that it hurt like hell when he was gripping it. But he knew I would kick up so that was a smart thing.

So I have an athletic brace to wear, silicone heel cups, and a bandaid. This freaking sucked like no tomorrow. By now its 5pm and I dont have time to go home and get my bag for class. I showed up without any of my tools. But thats ok, they all took sympathy with me.

I have to do my best to stay off my foot as much as possible. Like that will be easy with my job. If this doesnt work, then Im going to head to PT. If that doesnt work then its time for surgery. Like thats what I want again.

I am also working on a blog about the dentist visit this time and also one from last week involving a medication mix up.

Stay tuned.....

3 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

My sympathies. I know all about having to get shots in your foot because I did that twice last summer. I have a Morton's Neuroma in my left foot. The initial treatment is to inject steroids into the nerve. Gack!!! It hurts for about a week afterward.

And now I have to wear ugly shoes. (All my pretty ones have heels that are too high.) Damn. I am trying, but having trouble finding low heel shoes that I like.

7:29 AM  
Blogger MacRankin said...

Was your doctor an ex-wrestler, or something?

I'm pretty sure I once had a dentist like that, where he shoved his knee into my chest in-order to extract one of me premolar back teeth.

8:03 AM  
Blogger BC said...

fermicat: I think I may have to get another shot. The pain isnt as sharp but it still hurts like hell. I wouldnt be able to take time off work for PT. And there is no way I am missing my Wed night class. :D

MF: Ivenever had a dentist do that to me. LOL
But this doctor knows me well enough that when in extreme pain, I will involuntarily react to it. I dont mean to kick out but if it hurts, then so be it. I did once bite a dentist though. But she deserved it.

Word Verification: nonome LOL

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home