Thursday, August 14, 2008

We Aint In Kansas...

We Aint In Kansas.....

This post took place on August 2nd.

This is a very important date at the camp. Two things are happening today and we need to get our asses moving early. But I will tell you thats not what happened. Cami once again pulled an all nighter. Well she did sleep for a couple of hours but that was short lived and she was up for a while. I think I finally fell asleep at about 3am.

I will tell you a little something about what was going to happen before I tell how how it happened. One of the ladies at the camp was having a birthday. When we had the Christmas party, I heard my mom ask her what colors she liked. She said she liked different shades of blue. I knew what she was doing. And I was correct when she asked me later if I would make something for Sally for her present.

This is not a bad idea because I really like her and shes the sweetest and coolest lady. She was turning 70 but you wouldnt know it. But this was a difficult piece to make because shes not an overly feminine woman. Shes a jeans and tshirt lady. But I know she likes silver. So I went through hell and high water to think of something she would like. I finally came up with a byzantine link bracelet with some sodalite and blue lace agate chips. This was a really nice piece of jewelry. Problem is, I never got to take a decent picture of it. I will have to ask her to do that for me so that I have a copy of it.

Well anywho, this is how the journey went. We got up a little later than I planned. Not too much but it was enough that it put us behind schedule for that morning. It was also Kids Day there and so far, we would miss about an hour or so of it. This did not set well with Cami but I told her that she needed to be up in time to go. That didnt happen though. But as I was getting out of the shower, I heard thunder and knew we wouldnt be missing much of anything.

Sure enough, as soon and I pulled out of the driveway and headed down the road, the rain started. Piss and moan all the way there about how Kids Day was not happening because of the rain. Good thing I have a stereo with loud speakers. Nah, I really didnt do that to her. In fact, it was her idea to put a CD in. This was the only way I was going to keep her happy for the trip. It wasnt so bad but I really didnt need to listen to Miley Cyrus. Over and over and over and over and over...... She also did a remake of Cindy Laupers Girls Just Wanna Have fun. There was only so many times I could stand that song when Cindy sang it. Now I have to live that all over again. Oh the horror.

I couldnt wait to get there so I could turn this off. There are a couple of songs I liked but she had two favorites that werent anything I wanted to hear. We got to the camp and of course its still raining. Kids Day was canceled. So we headed on to the trailer and decided to wait out the rain. She went inside to watch tv instead. It was like a repeat of the week before with the flooding on the road. Only thing we didnt have was the hail.

About 1pm we headed to Sallys campsite for the party. We got there a little early in case they needed help with anything. I gave her the bracelet and she loved it. Yay!! I was thrilled and alot of people liked it as well and they want to see my other work too. I told them to stop down to moms later or next week when I was there and we would check things out.

Cami was bored so we went for a little walk. The rain had stopped and the sun was shining. Talk about a mixed blessing. It was starting to get hot and muggy though. We walked along the lake path that we like to go on. We checked out the beavers and the lodges and the mess they like to make. Seems that not much has changed except the person the owns the land on the other side of the swamp is filling it in and growing a lawn that he wants to reach to the lake. Long story there but hes claiming land that isnt his and there is a court thing going on between him and the campground owner.

We heard some bull frogs and saw some fish in the water. Suddenly she stops cold in the path and starts darting around like a crazy lady. Shes chasing something. Mind you that this is a kid that hates bugs and icky things. She bends down and picks something up. She opens her hands and tells me to take a picture quick. She caught a tiny frog. It was really cute and just sat there on her hand. So I took a few shots and we let it go back to the pond.

We walked back and of course she had to stop at every puddle to check for more frogs. We arrived back to the party and she found one of her friends. They wanted to go to the playground to play so off they went. I went and checked on them every now and then and they were having fun. The party was great and Sally was having a blast. Food, booze, friends and alot of great gifts.

I should also mention that Sally is a drummer in a band. They were setting everything up in the Rec Hall to play after the party. At about 4pm, we started cleaning up a little and Sally went over to start setting up her drums. I heard the sound of thunder in the distance and decided to go get Cami and start heading home before the rains hit. I hate driving the mountain roads in the rain.

I went to the playground and found her and her friend playing mini golf. They had a box with them and inside it was another tiny frog. Of course Cami said it was the same one from the lake that followed her there. I had to explain to her that it wasnt. That didnt go well. She realy wanted to take it home and I couldnt let her because it didnt belong in the city. So her and her friend released it in the woods there.

The thunder was getting closer and I knew it was time to leave. So we said our goodbyes and bailed out. I headed out of the camp and got on the main road. I saw flashes of lightning and I really wasnt in for the fun ride home. We turned on the road that would take us straight through and the rain hit. The thunder and lightning were really bad and then the rain came even harder. I had to pull over because I couldnt see to drive. It was like being inside a car wash.

I waited it out a little and got back on the road. Not a few miles down, it happened again. I pulled over again. Mind you that I wasnt the only one. I could see off in the distance that there was lightning striking repeatedly in one area. They say that it never strikes twice in the same area but this certainly was. I saw the clouds and I knew what that meant. I had to pull over again and this time there was a side road. I knew what was down this road and I knew that it was safe there. So I pulled in and a few other cars did the same. We waited it out in the thick trees. Im not sure if it was so dark because of the woods or the storm.

About 15 minutes later, the rain stopped. I pulled out and went down the road again. I pulled over again but this time I was taking some pictures of the clouds. Really low hanging. Mean looking and really dark. You can see the different layers and colors all together. This is not a good sign.

I continued on the way for about 15 more miles before the rain hit again. This time it wasnt so bad. I was already pretty much out of the winding roads and hills. I kept a watch on the clouds though. They were still looking pretty haunting. There is an area where the road runs along open fields and you can see some of the mountains in the distance. The sun was above the mountains making the low dark clouds glow. It was quite pretty. I pulled over to take a picture and when I got out of the car, I heard the thunder. I flashed off a few shots in different directions and when I turned to my right, I saw something I didnt want to see. I quickly got back in the car and bailed out of there as fast as I could.

A couple miles down the road I saw some clouds on the ground in a field. They were moving pretty fast but not touching the ones above it. You pretty much guessed what it was. I couldnt wait to get home.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/gammak/campsallystormfrogutica040.jpg

4 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

Nice photo!

5:41 PM  
Blogger MacRankin said...

Blimey, you're not having much fun with the whether lately.

Erm, have you ever considered getting a part-time job as a 'Storm, Flood, Disaster Movie Chaser'? LOL

Anyway, glad to hear your friend Sally is happy with the necklace you designed for her.

12:24 PM  
Blogger wa11z said...

I agree. Take a camera with you and drive right into that sucker. Just make sure you drink plenty of whiskey first.

10:39 PM  
Blogger BC said...

The last time I was in a tornado was on the Thruway and I saw the clouds ahead. There were some truckers around me and we went to the side of the road. I was boxed in. The rain fell and I couldnt see but I could hear that "train" sound. I called my cousin (weatherman) when I got home and he comfirmed that there was one in that area. O_O

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home