Sunday, November 02, 2008

Its that time of the year again...

I originally started this one in the beginning of Oct....

Its that time of the year again....

Camp is officially closed for the winter. The camper is all tucked in for hibernation. Mom and Mousie made it to Florida a few days ago and everything is fine down there. I really hate not having the holidays with them.

Lets see, what has happened since my last update.... I had started a blog about my doctor visit but I considered that to be too personal. So you guys dont get to read all the details. But over all, my doctor has retired and I went back to the doctor I had before him. I had to have a complete physical including blood work and a flu shot. I wasnt in a pleasant mood when I left there. But at least I got some really good cold meds out of it.

Thanksgiving at camp went really well. We had a decent turnout and the food was great as usual. There will be alot of people not coming back next year because of the travel expenses for them to get there. Our neighbor lives in NYC and his camper is up for sale. Its so sad to have to let go of these people. I still have email contact though.

We cleaned up the camp for what we were able to help with. Mom and Mousie would be finishing the last bit of it before they would leave during the week. Cami fed the chipmunks again. I still have that blog to write about. Someone remind me later about it. I have some really cool pictures and videos to go with that. We stayed for as long as we could and then we had to say goodbye. Of course I cried the whole way home. I hate that part.

So I now have to wait til Spring again.

School has been going really good. Knock on wood. I love the class I am working with and its been really good to be working with the 4th grade. I get to spend lunch and recess time with Cami. I let her be with her friends but its just nice to be able to be around her to watch her. Call me a bad mom for caring too much. I love the school but I hate the neighborhood.

We had the first field trip of the year. Cami's class went on the 8th and my class went on the 15th. We went to the same place. They cant have all three classes go at once. I havent seen the pictures from her field trip yet but I can explain mine. We all did the same thing. According to her teacher and chaperones, she did a fantastic job. I was worried that day because she was sick. I wanted to hold her back and have he go with my class but the boss wasnt going to have it that way. This was also a trip that I didnt want her to miss out on because of her indian heritage.

The morning started out as usual. She didnt want to get out of bed and take a shower. I knew she had a cold and when this happens, she can be a real wild one in the morning. Wait, let me rephrase that. Shes not a wild one because a wild one would be actually moving. In the mornings, this kid runs on two speeds. Slow and Stop. She reminds me of the typical teenager. Five more minutes mom.

That morning, I got her up and showered. Got everything going and had her take her meds. We got to school and I sent her to have breakfast. She said she didnt want it so I let her go play with her friends. I wasnt about to argue with her. She normally doesnt eat after her pill. The medications make her sick to her stomach.

When it came time for the kids to come in, her class went to the classroom to get ready to leave. I went down there with her. She really wasnt feeling well and her teacher and I discussed whether or not she could go. I asked her if she was going to be able to handle it. She said yes. I got her a little snack from the cafeteria in case she wanted to nibble.

As they were leaving, she went into the bathroom. I her her yell out for me and I went in. She wanted me to hold the bus. So I told her teacher that she would be there in a moment. She came out about 5 minutes later, asked for a drink and then she was on her way. As she was getting on the bus, I asked if she was ok and she told me that she threw up in the bathroom so that she wouldnt do it on the bus. How lovely. But at least the color returned to her face.

I waited all day for the phone call from her teacher to come get her. No such call came so I assumed they were doing well. The principal went with them as a chaperone. That should have been interesting for them. When they got back, I went to the room for a full report from their para. She kept an eye on her to make sure she would be ok and she told me that she did a wonderful job. Even the principal told me what a pleasant little girl she was. Good thing she puked before she left then, huh.

I asked her all about the place she went. She told me all the cool stuff they did. What they saw and all the stories. Then she told me that they had a gift shop. I felt bad because I didnt know and I didnt send her with any money. But I will be there myself so I will grab something for her.

My field trip was pretty good too. Here is the main catch though. These are city kids and we are taking them to the woods. This is a learning thing. Yep. Learning in the woods. Not like most of these kids will need this knowledge living in the concrete jungle but its just good to know. Plus its a requirement of the school.

We got them on the bus and off we go. Its about a 45 minute trip. Can you imagine 23 kids on a bus and they dont know where they are going? Thats the fun part. The driver turned on the radio and the girls all sang while the boys played their video games. We arrived and the kids were all sorts of confused as to what we would be doing in a barn. Its not a barn. Its a nature center. Cant get that through their heads. They saw cows and horses on the way so I think they just assumed.

Jim met us outside the bus and we all followed him inside. The strange thing about it is, I know this guy from somewhere and I cant quite place where. I have a lot of friends in that area so I will just say that it could have been at a party or something. He said hello and stared for a few moments so Im guessing that he was thinking the same thing. Anywho, we get the kids all inside and he introduced himself and told them where all the bathrooms are. And they all left the room. It was pretty funny.

Once that was all done, we gathered in the main hall and the fun was about to begin. Apparently a couple of kids wandered to another room while waiting for the bathroom and we heard some screaming. I went to investigate and they were upset over seeing some deer, moose and elk heads on a wall in the museum room. I found it amusing. They didnt.

Back in the main room, Jim sat them all down and began to tell an old native indian story. They loved it and they were really paying attention to this guy. After that we went to a room to look at casts of animal tracks. They learned the difference between different tracks and he told them that they would be tested on them later.

After that we headed out the back door to the woods. One of the girls was truely disgusted with having to be out in the woods and any little noise or insect freaked her out. He was going to have them learn to make a shelter from sticks and leaves. Omg, this meant they would have to touch the stuff and some of them were freaking out over this.

For the most part, the kids did pretty well. They ended up having some fun with this. Its not every day they can chase each other with really big sticks. Throwing leaves is a lot better than throwing rocks or pieces of glass. But they survived. After that little adventure, we all headed back to the main building and had lunch. These kids were hungry.

I think the highlight of that part was that while we were all sitting there, something happened to crawl out in front of them and they freaked. It was the most ugliest and fearsome monster they ever saw. A Praying Mantis. They had no idea that something like this could exist. It was fun to watch them all gather around it and watch it.

After lunch they all gathered around to watch Jim work his magic. How to make a fire without a match. It was amazing to see the glow in the kids eyes as he did this. Then he decided that they should all try this on their own. He set up some stations so that they could do this. A few kids got a little worked up over not being THE ones to do it. Its sad that some kids just cant work with others and share duties. We then went back inside for another round of story telling.

After the adventure was over, a few of the kids bought some books. I myself bought a couple as well. I truely enjoyed this trip and I know some of the kids did as well. I think there will be some nightmares for a few of them. The mere thought of being out of the city scared the shit out of them.

The ride home was uneventful in the way of noise and fighting. We stopped at the teachers house to bring her son on the bus. He didnt quite know what to make of it all. Hes so darn adorable.

There is so much more that has happened since this date. Ive actually been pretty busy as of late to update it all at once. I will be writing some more later and will have another post up. Til then.... ta'ta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home