Saturday, July 08, 2006

Kitty Crack

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Kitty Crack

Current mood: amused

Recently I purchased a scratching rug for my cat. Its a piece of rug attached to a plastic tray that has a small one inch square catnip compartment in the bottom. Im sure this is used to lure kitty to the proper place to scratch rather than ripping up your beautiful livingroom carpet.

Well mine decided that the little corner of carpet just outside the bathroom door was as good as any place to completely rip up and shred. At least 5 inches of the corner is now missing. Well its not exactly missing but its shredded all over the place. Im even finding pieces of carpet in the kitchen and in my bedroom. I think she may be trying to hide her crime. Well burgundy carpet doesnt match while tile so guess what kitty? Busted you are.

So I go out and get this stuff called No-Scratch. It says to spray it on the area that you dont want your cat to scratch at. Well lets see.... um... does everywhere count?

So now I spray this particular spot that she loves so much and walk away. She checks it out. Sniffs and she too walks away. Good call. It must really work. Yeah it does. Until it dries. You have to spray the area at least four to five times a day. Its supposed to just be a deterant for them to be trained not to rip up that area. So do you think the other corner is next? Im thinking they need to make this in the 5 gallon jug size to achieve total positive results.

Anywho, back to the scratch pad. She has no desire for a scratch post. Thats pretty much a pole with carpet on it. This takes too much effort for her to have to pick her front paws up off the floor to do the damage she craves. The flat one works best for her lazy butt.

The fun part of it is the catnip compartment. I put a little of the kitty buds in it and put the lid on. Within seconds she was checking it out. I put it up on my bed and she actually slithered on her belly to get to it.

First she sniffed at it. Then she rolled on her back and stretched over it. She pushed her paws under it and tried to flip it over. She didnt achieve that but ended up with it on her back and she was loving every bit of it.

For the next hour or so she was laying on top of the pad and rolling around it. Very entertaining. The next thing I knew, she was sound asleep. On her back and purring so loud that she was vibrating. Im now thinking that I really need to try this stuff myself.

I put the pad on the floor next to my bed and I didnt think anything of it. She in turn moved to the floor with it. What a novel idea to get a cat off the bed. That was soon short lived. At 2am I hear this sound of bats flying. I get up and go out into the kitchen. After turning on the lights, I realize that its not bats flying. Nope. How high can my kitty fly? Zoom into the livingroom. Zoom back into the kitchen. Zoom back out. Zoom....zoom.... Holy cow can this cat run. When does it stop?

It stopped about 4am and she came into my room, jumped up on my bed and passed out. Does this mean I finally get some sleep too? Nope. I layed there wondering if this was perhaps a side effect of the catnip pad from earlier. Nah it cant be. She was all lovey dovey from that. What would suddenly cause her to fly like a race car at 2am?

I got my answer when I got up to start my day. On the kitchen floor lay the little baggie of catnip. Ripped open on one side and some of it was obviously ingested. Well I guess that teaches me to leave it on the table huh? Being that there is alot left, I decided to put it in another little baggie and pop it in the freezer for later use. Oh I have plans. No I dont plan on smoking it. Im sure kitty does though.

Every once in a while since then, I have put a small amount in her pad and she seems to love it. She has left the regular carpet alone for the most part. I have continued to spray there because now I have another kitty in the midst of this nut house.

New kitty has no desire to chew and claw the carpet. He prefers the scratching post. Ahhhh what a smart kitty. Not. He has this insane desire to torment my kitty. He really doesnt want to harm her. He just wants to snuggle her. Yeah he is quite the loverboy.

She in turn wants no part of him. What? She doesnt like younger men? He he he... she will soon find out. Anyways, she hisses and growls whenever he comes in the bedroom. He isnt affected by this and continues to walk right past her and checks everything out. Shes not liking this one bit.

Today I had both of them in the room and up on my bed. He was just sitting there not moving and she was giving him the nasty talk. I comforted her by petting her and she was ok with that for a little while. Then it hit me.... Catnip. Lets see what would happen if she turned all lovey dovey.

I get some out and I put it in my hands. Yep. She went for it and ate some. Not much mind you but just enough that she was all purring and cuddly. Now its his turn. He jumps up on the bed and starts immediately rubbing the spot where some had fallen. Shes not even bothering to hiss at him. Right now I dont think she even cares. Shes seeing colors man. Oooo pretty colors.

So now here I sit typing this out. I have one kitty on the bed passed out on her back. The other one is on the floor laying in my cat's little round bed all zoning out in kitty crack land.

But now the thought hits me. What happens when they wake up and decide to fly through the house together? Polysporin? Check. Bandaids? Check.

And those are for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

LOL! My cats used to break into the catnip bag too, until I starting keeping it in glass jars. Weird that your cat gets spastic for such a long time. Zima plays for about 5 minutes and then passes out. I haven't tried it with the kitten yet.

1:58 PM  
Blogger crazytigerrabbitman said...

My cat, after one katnip episode, figured out the formula for turning kibble into gold. Needless to say, I shredded my own University degree myself, and have now developed my own bag-a-day katnip habit.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home