Thursday, August 26, 2010

Im Movin On...Part 1

Im Movin On....

Had the song from Rascal Flatts in my head but it was coming out more like the Jeffersons theme. Yep... Im movin on up.... Got that one stuck in your head now huh. Its not like that though. The new apartment is a first floor. No sky view for me. In a way, thats a good thing because I needed a first floor apartment because most of my family cant climb stairs.

Being on a first floor always makes me a little nervous. Im always conscious of people looking in my windows. Not that Im the type that shuts myself up, but I just cant stand the thought of people knowing more than they should about me. I am a private person. My home is my castle. Although, I wish it was a castle. But we all know that wont be happening any time soon.

In a way I will miss this old house. But there are a lot of reasons to haul on up out of here. The cons list is longer than the pros list. I love old houses, but they require a lot of upkeep that is just not being done. I dont own this place so there is not a lot I can do about it. The place is getting worse and worse and the work isnt being done.

About 10 years ago, we moved in here to help the landlord fix the place up a little since the previous tenants completely destroyed it. The original agreement was a couple of years of maintenance in here and we would move on. Well its been 8 years too long. We held up our end of the deal and its time to go. The walls are cracking worse, the ceiling is cracking worse. The doorways are leaning. Oh, did I meantion that the walls are cracking? Yeah, its getting bad.

The house has been settling more than it should be. The basement needs floor jacks, the first floor needs floor jacks and so does the second floor. This was never done. The house needs new siding. This was never done. The slate roof needs to be removed because of the severe weight. This was never done. Now the damage is too much. We have tried in vain all these years to fix the cracks but now we just cant keep up.

The rooms are too small. I want a real bathroom. Not a water closet. Literally, I have a closet that was converted into a bathroom. The tub didnt have a shower. When we moved in, we created one. Walls and all. Its not a bad job. The sink was too big so we installed a smaller one. There was no way to fix the size of the room though. Its a narrow room. You have to squeeze your ass between the shower and the sink to get to the toilet. Its about 17 inches of space to do so. Not happening for some people. I was getting really tired of that. And the toilet was always breaking.

The bedrooms are really small. My bedroom is only a 9x10. There is no room in here. The front bedroom is even smaller. Can you imagin? The livingroom and diningroom are decent size but still a little cramped. The kitchen is a decent sized room. The biggest in the apartment. But one doesnt live in just the kitchen. And there are hardly any cabinets. The washer and dryer take up most of the space. The stove is old and has to be hand lit when you needed to use it. And there wasnt a dish washer.

There is a huge fenced in back yard though. That would be the only highlight feature. Not having to walk my dog and clean up every time. I could just let her out and rake it up later. But we were the ones that had to do the yard work in the summer and winter. I got tired of that too. Especially when the landlord borrowed the mower and broke it. And we used our own snowblower to do the winter work.

The place was always loaded with spiders. I know its an old house but it was getting a little out of hand. I refuse to go up in my attic for fear of whats up there. I know its all my own stuff up there but its really creepy. I dont use the basement. I wouldnt go down there either.

I really believe that a new place would be much better. But its also very hard to find a place that allows pets and still has decent rent and decent living. Ive looked at more places than you can shake a stick at, and believe me, people do more damage than the pets do.

Its time to move on......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home