Thursday, August 26, 2010

Im Movin On... Part 2

Im Movin On... Part 2

We were apartment hunting for a while now. Years even. Seriously. I just couldnt find anything that we could afford. Plus I have a dog and a cat. People dont want pets. But they need to realize that sometimes pets are better than people. I really think that landlords need to get to know the tenants and the potential pets before making a decision on letting them rent or not. They would do good with some families that have pets. But I understand their reasons. Their loss.

So a few weeks ago, we finally got up the cash to go looking again. I went bonkers looking in all the media outlets and finally found a few on craigslist. I know, I know, some people hate that website but I love it. I find a lot of goodies there. And I found a few places to check out. As I went down my list, it was getting pretty bad. The places that did allow pets were really expensive. And those that had the cheaper rents wanted huge deposits or extra rent each month. Or they were simply in neighborhoods that were less desirable. I was getting to my whits end.

Then I saw one that interested me. It stated that there would be a deposit for each pet and also stated that kids are more than welcome. Oh, did I mention that there were some places that didnt even want kids? Yeah, can you imagine? But this place looked promising so I gave them a call to go look at the place.

On the phone we talked about the kid, the cat and the dog. I was told that there would be a one time deposit for the pets but the kid comes free. Also there are two playgrounds on the property for kids. The statement that I was given was that the landlord wants a place for families. And pets are members of the family. I think Im going to like this.

So we went over on a Wednesday afternoon and checked the outside. The buildings were once an old military depot and these were the officers housing units. Apartments as some would say. The landlord was renovating some of the units and they had a two bedroom and a 4 bedroom available. I would have preferred the 4 bedroom but that was double the rent. I couldnt afford that one. So we looked at the two bedroom.

It was a little smaller than the one Im in but the room size was a lot bigger. Thats a plus. Im getting tired of being cramped in these tiny rooms. The bathroom was about the same size as the closet one I have now but the layout was much better. I can get my ass in there without having to climb over the sink to get to the toilet. Another plus if you ask me. There is also a linen closet just outside the bathroom door. Yet another plus. The bedrooms are about double the size and the living room is about the same size as my living room and dining room combined. Although the new place doesnt have a dining room. There is an eat in kitchen. The kitchen is decent size with a ton of cabinet space. The washer and dryer has a spot next to the fridge, which has an icemaker. There is also a dishwasher. I havent had one of those in 10 years. Oh, bless you.

The entire place just recieved all new hard wood floors. This could be a problem when having a dog though. So I will need some area rugs. Anyone want to donate to that fund? I also need some drapes because there are lot more windows. I need some donations for that too. But I really liked this place. And they told us that there are two playgrounds there that the kids can play on. While looking out the kitchen window, I noticed a couple of girls, about my daughters age, playing in the yard. Heck, there were kids everywhere. There were toys outside all over the place. This tells me that its also a bit safer. Where I am now, you dont dare let the kids out to play. There are some weirdos on this street and cars are broken into and my tires were slashed recently. Ok, so this was going to be a better deal. And my pets were welcome. But also, they restrict what pets are allowed. No big dogs or dogs that are on a danger list. So that tells me that this is pet friendly and also safe for kids. I can handle this.

Then Im told that there is a fee on top of the rent each month. This extra fee is seperate from the rent check and will cover all utility expenses. I was a little shocked at first but then realized that this total with the rent is still pretty cheap when you add up all the utilities for the month. I can deal with that. The man said that we can have the airconditioners, the washer and dryer, the dishwasher and what ever else going all the time and its only a one time fee each month. My heat is free here but my electric bill is about $300 a month. This fee at the new place is half of that and the heat is with it too. Hell yeah, Im taking this shot.

So then the man takes the information down and wants an application and a couple of pay stubs for the background checks. Hmmm... background checks. This means the new landlord was serious about who he rents to. I can deal with that too. I have nothing to hide. So then this man says to put a deposit down to hold the place while they process the background check to approve. I didnt have the money with me so he told me to come back by friday with it. I said ok.

Well come friday, I wasnt able to go over there and I also checked craigslist and the apartment wasnt listed anymore. I thought to myself, shit, its gone to someone else because I didnt have that little deposit on me at the time. But they had my application. Maybe there will be another opening soon. Then on Wednesday, I got the call that the apartment was mine. The landlord himself called and wanted to know if I was still interested because the lady that was supposed to have a deposit didnt show up. Ha ha ha. I had to laugh and I told him that was me anyways. So he had me come over to sign a lease for the middles of Sept. Of course, I was there in a flash.

So now I have a new place to move into. I need to get my butt in gear to get all my junk packed up and ready to move.

Im moving on....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home