Thursday, December 31, 2009

Once In A Blue Moon...

* Once In A Blue Moon...

Or so the old saying goes. Seems that its a reality again this year. Sadly I wont be able to get to see it here. Its too cloudy and snowy out to see much of anything.

In all honesty, I dont mind the snow. If its cold enough to snow then its warm enough to breathe without freezing your lungs. Did that make any sense? It does to me. Its been so cold here that just breathing can kill you. Last night was a beauitful night. I went out on my back steps and took a good look around. The stars were out, the air was clean and brisk, and the wind had finally stopped.

The nights before this were cold and windy to the point that it was dropping the temps. The real temp would be 11F but the "feel like" temp would be 2F. My cousin was telling me that she was out walking her little dog and the wind was so bad that it was pushing him across the ice on his belly. I took my dog out and I had all I could do to keep the door open.

So I guess I could change my earlier statement to "when its warm enough to snow".

Also something that I posted on my Facebook page...

Remember as a kid, we all thought 2010 Space Odyssey was cool. Well not as cool as the one before. But we all thought that when we reached 2010 it would be like that. Or at least living like the Jetsons. Boy were we let down.

Here we are at the doorstep of 2010 and its nothing at all like that. Not sure if I would have liked it to be all that. Think of the in air traffic jams while dodging all those houses on poles. And where were those pole connected to? Were there actual cars on the ground somewhere? Were they driving antiques like a 57 BelAire? Yeah right. I dont see anyone with a robot maid or some suction pole to get to your pad in the sky. And what the hell are those cogs used for?

I would have liked some of the other things they had in their homes. Like all the buttons that you push for the gormet meals and the ones that automatically did your hair and clothes. That would save me a lot of time in the mornings. And that wonderful thing to walk the dog. Although I wouldnt want to be below the dog while shes out there. Good thing we only have the pigeons to worry about for now.

But think of the crazy chick flying in a bubble trying to put on makeup. Or the jackass rushing to work causing serious road rage. Where would you pull over to beat the daylights out of him? Its not like you can step out of the car without falling 30,000 feet. Well, you could if you had one of those jet packs attached to your back.

But thinking on it all, where would we be if we really could tell Scotty to beam us up?

Wishing everyone a safe and happy new year for 2010.

4 Comments:

Blogger MacRankin said...

I've stopped believing in all that near future scifi rubbish.

You know, if it wasn't for all our nice (sometimes, time-wasting) technology, we'd only be left with a future of more crap. It's the people, you know.

Anyway, I'd still like all those space-casters to carry on casting around for what good little scifi futures there still might be lurking just beyond our knowledge. ;)

2:11 PM  
Blogger BC said...

And Mr. Spacely could be played by Danny Devito. :D

4:35 PM  
Blogger fermicat said...

Happy New Year to you, too!

OK, so some of that 2010 stuff didn't pan out, but you have to admit that having handheld electronic gadgets and the internet is a pretty happenin' combination. We've got a ton of information at our fingertips nearly all the time.

7:31 PM  
Blogger BC said...

Very true. I would be lost without that.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home