Friday, November 28, 2008

Free-For-All Day...

Free-For-All Day...

Let the riots begin. Today officially marks the holiday shopping season. Black Friday. I know its not widely known in other countries but today is the day that all the stores and shops have their biggest sales. The main catch is to have specific items on sale at specific times. Some store opened this morning at 4am. Some will be open really late tonight. But each one has something to offer. The trick to all this is to go to the mall first and then leave before the rush at about 11am. No one is at the mall that early unless they are there for the bigger anchor stores.

I really dont see what the big deal is though. There is no way you will get me to go out there and risk my ass for something on sale. I would rather pay full price for something and not have to fight some old biddy for it. Earlier today, CNN posted up a news story about someone that was killed in a stampede at a Walmart store. But that wasnt the worse part of it. While the guy lay there, people were still trampling the rescue workers. What the hell? How sick is that? And they also caused harm to a pregnant lady. Is that Barbie doll really that important that you need to kill someone for it?

Do these people have no self respect? Where will their conscious heart be when their kid opens a gift that you had to fight for? Oh Timmy, you better appreciate this wii system because I had to push and shove and trample someone to death so that you could have it. Assholes.

But on to other things. Jake has passed away and the wake was tonight. The funeral is tomorrow morning. I did talk to my mom tonight and they are handling it fairly well considering whats involved. Dealing with other members of the family, that is. But now he is at peace and no longer in pain.

Today also marks a sort of family tradition for me and my family. Well something that my mom always did. I just kept it going. Except for this year. On Black Friday, we always put up the tree and started on the long list of Christmas cards. I attempted that today but I didnt get too far. I have about 4 cards done and the tree is still in the box.

Cami woke up cranky as hell this morning and it continued all day. She found everything she could to bitch about. I cant fully put any blame on her though. She got hardly any sleep last night. Then again, neither did I. It was just miserable. So we decided to just chill out for the day instead of having arguments over nothing.

But the tradition was to put the tree up on Black Friday and take it down on New Years Day. Mom always went way out to decorate the house. Every corner had something in it that was related to the holidays. A Santa in a chimney in that corner. A giant stocking in that corner over there. Tube lighting in all the doorways. Glittery garland around the ceiling and down the walls. It was a nightmare when it was all lit up. But mom loved it and it did bring in the holiday spirit. Even if all those lights blinking on and off kept you up all night for a few weeks.

And what is Christmas without building a gingerbread house? Cami wants to make one and of course I promised her. I cant wait to see the mess we make with that one. There has to be an easier way. Even the kits are a mess. I wish she would pick things that are easier like baking cookies. I love baking cookies. Especially the buttery drop cookies. And the chocolate cream cookies. Opps... I think I just gained 5 lbs thinking about those.

Tonight I watched Fred Claus. It was ok. Not too much that was overly funny. But I really liked the story lines to it. Some of it was pretty cool. I will watch it again tomorrow with Cami. Also I have my very own copy of The Christmas Story. Its just not Christmas until you watch that one at least once. I know that some channels play it round the clock on Christmas Eve.

Cami no longer believes in Santa. I couldnt lie to her because she pretty much figured it out on her own. She asked and I told her the truth. But I also told her the general history of why he existed in the first place. She understood it all and still likes the idea of it. She still wants to go see him at the mall and she still gets upset when I threaten her that I will tell him that she was bad. He he he... Good to have that leverage.

We went to the mall the other day and she went to the line. She got bored waiting for all the snotting whiney kids to squirm and cry so that mom could get the best photo possible of the whole damn group of twenty of them all smiling at the same time. We all know that wont happen so why bother trying for the 40th shot. So she made the excuse that his beard was the wrong color and we stepped out of line. We will try again another day.

She also asked that I not put the gifts under the tree til Christmas Eve. She likes that I make all the surprises and that it looks so nice when its all lit up for her in the morning. She figured it all out because everything had my handwriting on it. She mentioned it the year before last. Last year I didnt write anything on the presents and she figured it out. Oh well. At least she lasted this long though. I made it til I was about 4 before I knew.

Tomorrow is Saturday and I really dont have any plans on leaving the house again. I may visit my father for a little while though. There is no way in hell that I will go to a mall.

4 Comments:

Blogger MacRankin said...

I can't believe there was no pre-planned measures put in place to stop someone from being trampled upon.

Almost sounds like the mall and places likes the idea of stampeding crowds to be seen to be risking losing life and limb just so they can be involved in getting a piece of their action.

You know, your Cami is too clued up about everything. I know from your writings that she loves surprises, so maybe a little extra mystery is in order...

I'm not ambidextrous, but I can do almost as much as regards to drawing and writing with both hands. Maybe a little other hand writing practice is in order for next year, maybe? ;)

12:29 AM  
Blogger BC said...

Thats just it, there are precautions but no one cares. When the crowd surges, all hell breaks loose. I know that the Walmart here wont let you near the store until they say you can. The line is out in the parking lot and everyone has a number for which order they can enter the store. I remember a couple years ago, I was in the 200s and there was some chick behind me that was pissed because there were only 50 of the item she came there for. Well, Im sorry but you have to wake up early. But the store here did it in an orderly fashion and no one was hurt. People walked in. Not ran.

12:16 PM  
Blogger fermicat said...

I didn't leave the house on Black Friday. I'm planning on using the internet this year and will shop in my PJ's in the comfort of my own home.

Sounds like Cami is growing up. That must create some mixed feelings for you.

4:42 PM  
Blogger BC said...

In a way it is a relief that Im not pressured for the whole 3am decorating thing anymore. But at the same time, I liked seeing Christmas through her eyes.

And yes she is growing up too fast. I would have to explain that part all in a PM. LOL

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home