Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Somewhere over the rainbow...

If there was any rainbow that is...

This was originally a post for Sunday night. Can you tell Ive been lazy?

Somewhere over the rainbow....

Nope... Didnt see any rainbows today. In fact, I didnt see too much of anything except the river flowing by the trailer at the camp. Yesterday was a fun deal. Today was even worse. My dear LW seems to send me the worst weather. What ever he has there comes right across and slams me here. I know he loves to share everything with me but he can keep the crappy weather. I dont mind a little rain but this is crazy.

I posted before about the crap he seems to be getting there. Then yesterday I was at class and the shit hit the fan. Literally. We were all sitting around the table and then Kim and I went outside for a break. I do that alot when working on something that tries my patience. So while outside, we noticed that the sky was looking really ugly to the west. I thought I heard a little thunder and said that we were getting something soon.

Well that something came in the form of a phone call from Kathleens mom stating that there was a nasty storm coming and that anyone that wanted to leave should do so now. Well no one really moved because we were in a secure building. No big deal. Then I saw the lightning. Then the thunder was loud and cracking. I looked up from my work and saw that the rain was coming down in buckets but moving at a sideways angle. Then came the hail.

I went to the back door and opened it up. I had never touched hail before. I stuck my arm out and caught some. It was the coolest thing. But I was a little scared about it flying off the roof of the garage and off the cars. Someone from behind me said "there goes the windshields". The hail balls were quite large.

Last night was pretty interesting too. LW and I chatted briefly before he went out after work. I then shut down my computer because I heard thunder here. But before he left, he said that nasty weather was coming my way. Gee thanks. Well he was right. For over an hour the thunder got worse and worse. So I went to my diningroom window to watch the storm. I can admit that I just out of my shorts a few times. I could see the bolts coming straight down. They were really close by. The cracks of thunder were so loud that I thought my windows would break. I stopped watching that and decided that watching something on TV was a better option. Thats when I saw the alert that told me to take cover in a secure dwelling and to stay away from the windows. Ya think? Now where would I find a secure dwelling? Damn sure isnt my top floor crappy apartment.

So this morning I get up bright and early. I went looking for my bright eyes and bushy tail but they were nowhere to be found. I got Cami up for her pill and breakfast and then I hopped in the shower. I called my mom to make sure she would be there. I didnt want to make the long drive down if I didnt have to. I would have gone back to bed instead. But indeed she would be there and told me that it was raining. I checked the local weather here and it said that it wouldnt be too bad. A few scattered showers should have told me something. But of course, I wanted to see my mom. That was more important.

So off we go. But there is a slight problem. Cami broke her portable CD player. So you know what that means. An hour straight of the same songs over and over and over and over. Normally this wouldnt be so bad. But she got a new CD the day before. Miley Cyrus. Now dont get me wrong. I like Miley. I like Hannah. But damnit enough is enough after the first hour straight of it.

So we pull into the camp and head to the trailer. The sky is a little gloomy but its not raining. Thats a good sign. Boy was I wrong. At about 11am, the Heavens opened and shit all over the place. And I do mean shit. It was a repeat of yesterday except this lasted for hours and hours.

I was sitting on the deck when the thunder started. Then the lightning. The cool thing about living in the mountains is that when it thunders, it echoes. Its a really neat sound. We are at the base of one mountain and they are all connected together. So when it hits, it hits again and again and again. But the lightning was a little too close for me. You could feel the static from it.

So while Im sitting there, I felt something whack me in the arm. Hail. Not this shit again. Yep. This shit again. So Cami comes out because the window she was sitting next to has a waterfall outside it. So shes running around the deck picking up the hail. Ok, so this is an entertaining learning experience for her.

The road out front is now a river. The trailer across the street is about to become a houseboat to the lake that is forming under it. I took some pictures but I will have to load them seperately because its almost two in the morning and Im just too damn lazy to do it now. Btw... Someone is still up and I told her that if she doesnt sleep, then I cant sleep and that means we dont go anywhere tomorrow.

So anyways, the rain finally slows up and the birds come to feed at the feeders. This is a good sign. So Cami and I take a little walk to see the damage at the bottom of the hill behind us. Sure enough, the trailers down there are in Lake Erie. Of course my kid has to go jump in the water.

But I think I spoke too soon because I can see the dark clouds again. We head back up the hill to the trailer just in case. While sitting there, I had a very interesting experience. We have alot of birds and animals that we feed and we always have hummingbirds and chipmunks on the deck. I cant tell you how many times I have been whacked with a humminbird flying in.

This time was different for me though. I didnt get whacked but close to it. Two of them came in all twitter-pated. Bambi reference there. It was a male and a female doing the mating dance. Well mating flight. They went around and around for a while and I ducked. Its one thing to get whacked with one but another thing to get whacked with two at the same time.

I tried to take pictures but you know how that turns out. Didnt work so well. But then suddenly the female takes off and the male tries to follow but he is too high. He ends up poking at the roof for a while. We have a white plastic roof that allows sunlight in. He didnt realize that if he flew about a foot lower, he would be free. So I went up after him to rescue him. I caught him gently and let him rest in my hands for a few minutes. Cami got to pet him and he started to calm down. I then took him outside and opened my hands. He sat there for a while and then flew away. Its always a great experience to hold a hummingbird.

Shortly after that, the rain came again with even more thunder and lightning. I was having enough of this but I couldnt leave until it let up. So we decided to have an early dinner of corn on the cob, potatoes and some meatloaf. Yeah, nice combo. But my mom makes a really great meatloaf. Even Cami ate some with bread as a burger. Well at least thats what she thought it was and she liked it.

About the time dinner was over, the rain had let up enough for me to bail out of there. It a long drive home and I hate doing it in the rain. About 10 miles down the road though, it was bright and sunny. Go figure. But before that, I caught a shot of the mountains that looked really cool. You could see the clouds above them and then you saw about half the mountains. Then there was another row of clouds. It looked really cool.

Once we got home, I was ready for a nap. Stay tuned for the next post about a little trip we took to see the family. I really wasnt looking forward to more rain.

4 Comments:

Blogger wa11z said...

Rain, food, hummingbirds...I'd be ready for a nap too. ;)

9:38 PM  
Blogger BC said...

But it was so cool to hold one. :D

12:28 PM  
Blogger fermicat said...

I keep seeing mud while reading your post. Acres and acres of mud.

Cool story about the hummingbirds. I didn't know you could catch one. Mine are way too fast.

10:09 AM  
Blogger MacRankin said...

You ever been in one of those 'Disaster Movies'. :lol:

Seriously, that was quite an enjoyable, though worrying at times, read about what's it like living at the base of a mountain range when thunder and lightening hits too close to home.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home