Saturday, October 27, 2007

This shit doesnt happen every day...

Maybe in my life it does but I would prefer that it not. I will start off by saying that Cami was officially diagnosed with ADD. Not like I didnt know this all along but at least now its on paper. The other "therapists" were claiming her as immature behavior. Yeah riiiight. They didnt have to live with her. And what can you really learn in an hour? Well this lady that we went to see on Friday night did just that. We did the paper testing and she read the journal that her teacher and I have been keeping. She talked alone with Cami and she came up with ADD. So now there are new meds for her to be on. This shit is going to be costing me a small fortune every month too. $120 worth to be exact.

So last night she had the night time one and she was out cold. She woke up bright and early at about 7am. Then she took her daytime one with breakfast at about 730. This kid was on the frigging ceiling all day. Her body wasnt moving on fast forward but her mouth sure was. She was talking like she worked in a fast food joint. I had to ask her several times to repeat things and to slow down. But at least she wasnt irritable and whiney. She took her night time one again at about 730pm and she was out by 8. Im hoping the day time one will slow her down. Time will tell.

On another note, my body still hasnt recovered from the multiple field trips I have been on lately. The week before last I went on the same one twice. Yeah.... Twice. I work with two 6th grade classes and they both did the same trip. Only thing is, they didnt do it together. I wished that they had though. Remember that hike that I wrote about? Well this was the same place and the same hike.

The first day, I was with one of the classes and we had no clue what we were supposed to do. I knew about the hike part but I didnt know about the Nature Center. It was funny because the teacher mentioned that we went past one that was also having road construction. We arrived at the hike location and the office there said we had to go to the center first. Well we got there and we couldnt get through because of the construction. So we called the school and things eventually worked out.

But because of this small delay, the hike was sort of rushed. Are you out of your mind? We were walking that trail really fast for part of it and then there was those damn stairs. Liek I need to run half a mile and then climb 60 to 70ft of stairs. Bull. I got to the top and nearly died. I had to use my inhaler and then there was the mile walk back to the bus. I used my inhaler there too. Thing is, I dont have asthma. Everything was fine after that and we had a nice lunch and went back to the school.

The next day I had to do this shit again. But this time I was smart. I had to stay at the end of the line because of safety reasons with any stragglers left. Trust me, these kids really didnt want to do this hike thing. Reread my other post about this place and you will find that reference to the city kids in there. It was pretty darn funny. These kids had fun but didnt want to walk it. Hell I didnt either after yesterday. My ass, back and legs were already killing me. Why did I want to make it worse. Ahhh... for the sake of science. lol. Really though, I did have a great time and I do enjoy that hike. I may do it again before they close the trail for the winter.

But this time I didnt need the inhaler. I paced it nice and rested with the others that straggled behind. I also did some learning stuff with them. We talked about the wooleybears and also the caves. They seemed to like the chats about the caves. There is one area where the kids went in one. I didnt do it on the second run because when I was on the first run, there was a huge spider in there. You wont get me in there again. Christy, dont read that part. Oops. Sorry, too late.

Also you will remember the precious post about my mom leaving for Florida. Well that package finally arrived for Cami. In it was her blanket and kitty. It arrived today so she was beyond thrilled. Its also a relief for me because I dont have to listen to the complaining that she cant sleep without her kitty. Not like she hasnt for the past couple of weeks. *rollseyes* But shes happy so that makes me happy. Also in the package was a new tshirt and this weird candy thing. Its a giant blue gummi rat. Yeah, like shes going to eat that. Well she will but Im not letting her right now. I cant even imagine her on candy too. She will go through the roof.

But there was another item in there. Mom knows how much I love to teach Cami new things. So she finds weird things for me to use as a learning tool. The beaver lodge was a great one. She even sent home a walking stick. Of the insect variety. Not the cane type. Yeah, what could I possibly teacher her about a cane. So anywho, this time it was pretty darn interesting. Mousie stopped along the road somewhere down south on the way to Florida. He hand picked a cotton bloom. Now mind you, I know what this is but I myself have never seen a real one.

So I let her see it and touch it. I went on line to show her what it looks like before it blooms open. Then I showed her how it was harvested. She was sort of confused with that. Online were stories about the machines used but also the slavery stuff. Not that I could really get into that yet so I had to make some stuff up. So we went into a huge history lesson as well. The one thing she just couldnt understand was what cotton was used for. She saw the whole cottonball and Qtip thing. Although she wanted to know why they are called Qtips. I couldnt explain that one yet. But she was shocked and stunned about her clothing. She just couldnt fathom that her shirt was made from a plant. And when I mentioned that her socks and underware were too, she went all wide-eyed. This was hilarious. But eventually she understood. I had to show her videos on how fabrics were made.

This then led to a discussion about wool and naked sheep but we wont go there.

2 Comments:

Blogger wa11z said...

I want to hear the wool and naked sheep story. ;)

4:42 PM  
Blogger BC said...

You are a ba-a-a-a-a-ddd boy. ;o)

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home